Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You'll have to wait for someone who has had experience tinkering with that specific router. But don't hold your breath.

Each equipment has its own specific way of configuring multi-WAN. If it was something I'm familiar with, like if it's a Cisco, Untangle, pfSense, or even a Fortinet, I might be able to help. It's a UI sort of deal. My suggestion is that you look for a discussion group that specifically caters to this model.

FWIW, I've got two comments about the router you chose:
    1. TP-Link already listed this model as EoL.
    2. It only has 10/100 mbps ports when most modern network devices are at least gigabit-capable, including your AX1500. So even if you have three ISPs that has a combined capacity of over 100mbps, you're still constricted to 100mbps to your LAN.

You should've gotten the ER-X like we advised you. That would've afforded you a bit more flexibility. You asked for advice, we gave them to you, but you didn't listen.

2. textguru

textguru Active Member

Cant find item on Lazada. Let me try to explore these devices. Thanks

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sorry we should have given you the commercial name :) it’s the Edgerouter X

4. textguru

textguru Active Member

Thanks, will do check this if the LB that I bought will not serve my purpose.

5. oj88

Return it if you still can. It's just going to be a bottleneck.

6. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Speaking of the Edgerouter X, I'm currently using one as my home router/firewall, however I managed to get hold of a Unifi Security Gateway (not the Pro version). Would it be advisable to replace the ER-X with the USG as my router and just use the ER-X as a VLAN-aware switch? I'm aware the main advantage of going this route is having my network management behind one pane of glass (the Unifi controller) but is it worth the effort or am I better off with my current set-up? It will just be for casual home use with a gigabit connection. I'm also not very tech-savvy when it comes to networking but would like remote access to the router when I'm away from home.

7. oj88

Since you already have a USG, why not take it out for a test drive and see which unit works best for your environment?

USG is the more "basic" of the two but for as long as you don't require the more enterprise-ready features of the ER-X, you should be fine. The integration with UniFi is the only pro I can think of as far as the USG is concerned.

The ER-X is more powerful and is much more customizable, but at the expense of no UniFi integration.

fcdiesta likes this.
  8. fcdiesta

Ok. Thanks. Much appreciated. I'll try to test it out once I have an idle weekend for tinkering with the network.

Last question: If I back up the ER-X and Unifi Controller settings before testing out the USG, I can revert back to my previous setup easily, right? Just flash those backup settings into the Unifi Controller and ER-X? Dreading having to go through configuring them again...

#728 fcdiesta, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  9. oj88

That depends.... do you have any other UniFi components on your network other than the USG?

10. fcdiesta

I've got a Unifi CloudKey (1st gen) for the Controller and a Unifi Flex Mini Switch, presently connected to the ER-X.

11. oj88

Here's how I would do it...

You only need to backup your Controller as that is where the changes are going to be when you add the USG. You can simply turn off the ER-X... just make sure you have the configs saved. No need to backup the ER-X. You'll need to move the ISP connection from the ER-X to the USG.

Once you're done with the USG and you want to go back to the ER-X, just remove the USG, transfer the ISP connection, power-up the ER-X, and then restore the Controller config from your backup.

duhmask and fcdiesta like this.
  12. fcdiesta

Thanks a lot. Will try these steps soon...

13. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

For the Ubiquiti people on here based in Manila: where do you guys buy your gear? I'm considering making the switch from ASUS and wondering if I should get from Amazon (US) or sellers from Lazada. My only worry about getting from Amazon is potential warranty claims/support/etc, though I guess the same can be said of the local resellers without the benefit of lower prices.

I'm thinking of getting a Unifi Dream Machine + 1 Unifi nanoHD + existing DLink Gigabit switch (unmanaged). Can I use an existing router (bridge mode) and connect it to the UDM to act as another switch?

14. fcdiesta

I know it doesn't really help right now, what with all the quarantine lockdowns and all, but once this dies down, it might be easier for those in Manila to get their Unifi/Ubiquiti gear as Ubiquiti has just recently launched their HK online store. You can order your stuff and pick it up in a shop in Sham Shui Po. You can find the site here: https://ubnt.com.hk/. The site is in Chinese but you can simply use Google Translate and you can easily understand how to order.

Leon21 likes this.
  15. textguru

textguru Active Member

Managed to setup the TPLink R470T+ LB with 3 WAN(ISP), so far for the interface statistics, it is ready doing its purpose to load balance my bandwidth. Now, is the actual performance test as my kids start their classes + us parents working from home.

16. oj88

What ISPs do you have and what bandwidth/plan do you subscribe from each?

17. textguru

textguru Active Member

PLDT/Converge/Royal = 25mbps (each)

18. oj88

That LB is probably ok, for now. With all three ISPs active, you're likely already at the limit of FastEthernet.

19. textguru

textguru Active Member

thanks man! this thread really helped me find ways of maximizing my connections. kudos team!

20. legato

legato Active Member

Do you guys use IOT and/or Guest networks?

About to get few smart lights and not sure if I should put them in my network which dont have these in place.

Then I found below which seems like overkill. 189 page pdf to implement. LOL
    Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 2.47.30 PM.png