Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

In Airport Utility, Network > Router Mode should Off (Bridge Mode).

Attached Files:

2. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Was able to score a TP-Link Deco E4 3-pack for P3,500 during Lazada's midyear sale. We're now getting 30 to 35mbit everywhere at home. I might add a single M4 or M5 in the future for the gigabit port, in case we upgrade our fiber speeds. But for now, the E4 is doing okay.

3. textguru

textguru Active Member

Do you guys have a home setup that uses multiple ISP and 1 WiFI SSID? Currently have 3 ISPs at Home and I need to switch to these ISPs when I see lag or RTO.

4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Full disclosure: I don't have multiple ISPs.

I doubt if any of the garden variety routers supports multiple WANs. There are dual-WAN models but even then, they're few and far in between, much less those that are capable of three WANs. You might want to step up to something like the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X or build your own router out of old or unused PC parts.

I went with the latter and use Untangle NG firewall. It supports two modes: WAN Balancer and WAN Failover.

Balancer makes all WANs active and dynamically routes user traffic based on weights you assign to each WAN. With Failover, you can set a primary WAN where all your traffic is routed. When the primary WAN goes offline, it will automatically failover to the next WAN, and so on.

lamski likes this.
  5. textguru

textguru Active Member

any NG Model that you may share?

6. oj88

Untangle NG. That's what I've been using for years. The HomePro license ain't free though.... It's $50 a year but it has all the features of the commercial version (except for 2 or 3 'apps' which you won't need anyway) and does not have a device limit. The only catch is, it can only be used in a residential/home setting. You can't use it if you're running a business from it. WFH not included, unless you own the business.

Another option is Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition. This free license is capped at the hardware... it can only utilize a max of 4 cores and 6GB RAM.

If you want 100% free, go pfSense with the pfBlockerNG plugin. But it does require some steep learning curve. Been there and I'm glad I switched to Untangle.

7. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Great. What are the odds on both of my fiber connections going down? Buti na lang weekend at walang work.

I need to setup a third gateway (LTE).

PLDT downtime: Since 2am 25-July-2020
    Globe downtime: Since 1pm 25-July-2020

[​IMG]

8. textguru

textguru Active Member

guys, have you ever experience your devices cannot connect on your WiFi and asked for a password? I am not sure if the modem-router of our ISP is the issue (PLDT/Converge), where we try to switch from ISP A to B (or vice versa), it sometimes asked for a password (either iPhone/Android). Can you suggest how can we avoid it? Is it recommended to use a separate WiFi device rather than using the ISP provided hardware?

9. textguru

textguru Active Member

this is from which console?

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

By experience, the FW on those ISP modem routers are junk. It has always been stress-free to ‘bridge’ to your own Wifi router instead of using the modem’s wifi.

note: experience is with PLDT DSL and Fibr ONU only. Not familiar with Converge’s :)

11. textguru

textguru Active Member

any recommended device that is available in Lazada?

Also, do we have a good multi WAN/ISP wifi router?

12. oj88

In addition to my reply a few posts back, you can get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X. It's under PHP5k on Shopee. It can be set up to connect to 2 or more ISPs for load-balancing or failover.

The ER-X is worlds better than the one that came with your ISP. But FWIW, I still find it pretty basic.

13. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Oj88, mentioned ER-X and my setup is like this

modem -> ER-X -> AEBS or AirCube

For simplicity you can do AEBS or something similar directly

14. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

pfSense

15. textguru

textguru Active Member

thanks. Will check this out

16. textguru

textguru Active Member

will see this option. thanks

17. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

18. textguru

textguru Active Member

I bought TPLink Load Balancer and WiFi from Lazada, and waiting for delivery. While waiting, can someone give me some hints on how can maximize 3 ISPs (PLDT, Converge, Royal Cable) and use a single SSID for my home users?

19. oj88

Which model? You may want to download the user manual and start familiarizing yourself with the features and setup.

20. textguru

textguru Active Member

LB - TL-R470T+
    Wifi - AX1500

i do check some manuals and docs online, but checking some experts here who can help suggest best setup.