Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Looks like someone is trying to set up an AP-LR nearby. Please don't adopt the AP to save that person's sanity. LOL! I think it has to do with the "Uplink Connectivity Monitor" setting in the Unifi Controller. (Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor) You might want to turn that off if you have all your Unifi network all wired up anyway.

JohannChua and Juice like this.
  2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ That's unusual.

A neighbor is probably setting up a new UAP or somehow returned one to factory defaults. Your Controller, through an AP, is probably picking up the beacons from this disassociated UAP.

Just guessing.

But don't adopt it or your SSIDs would start showing up at their home.... aside from the security risk, that would probably scare them, thinking they've been hacked or something.

JohannChua and Juice like this.
  3. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I just went through the last 5 pages, and my mind is now all jumbled up from the terminologies and data :sick:

Now I know what happens when some doctors talk too much medical gibberish.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced mesh system that we can use for our condo? It's just that the kids room has a dead spot, and we're setting it up to have 2 desks for the home distance learning. And also where 's the best place to get one? Thanks, PhilMUG!

4. oj88

I don't have experience with mesh systems as I have always been an advocate of hard-wired AP deployments. But even as I maintain that wired is still the best way, mesh APs have improved dramatically in the last several years that you'll likely be fine going for most well-known brands.

After a quick look. it seems that the cheapest I've found is Tenda MW3. There are a lot of them being sold on Lazada (1, 2, or 3 bundle options) and a good review below.

5. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

My home network is connected to an APC SMT3000RMi2U and is using Powerchute Business Edition cause the Personal Edition can't detect it. In an event of a power loss, I want to make my network last as long as possible. But, I'm also using a desktop PC connected to it. The settings is confusing to me. It seems very different from the personal edition where I can just shutdown the PC and leave the UPS on. Any one know how to do this on Business Edition? I want to shutdown the PC without shutting down the UPS.
    apcbe.JPG

6. oj88

On that page, it seems that you can only play around with the "Time for Operating System to Shutdown" parameter to do what you want to achieve. You can increase the 1,000 seconds to let your UPS use as much of its runtime as possible after the PC has shutdown.

The Shutdown Summary below the page is pretty much self-explanatory and it reflects what you've configured...

Once power goes out, the PC immediately shuts down (ie. Set to "Immediately" or wait 0 seconds). After which, the UPS waits another 1,000 seconds (16 minutes and 40 seconds) before removing power to outlet groups in a particular sequence configured on the next page.

What's in the "Advanced Setup"?

Here are a few of my comments about your settings:

1. Don't configure the PC to shutdown immediately after a power failure. It may seem like a good idea but it can get annoying. Put a buffer like 1 minute or more. This will prevent your PC from shutting down on blackouts that are just a few seconds long. I set mine to 180 seconds (3 minutes). If I'm there, I usually continue to use it until a minute or so have gone by then shut it down manually. But if the power doesn't come back before the 3 minutes is up , the PC will automatically shutdown. Pray that whatever you're working on was saved.
    2. If it can be helped, don't run the batteries down to below 50% for two things: It shortens the batteries' life and you might run out of reserve to properly shutdown the PC if a blackout reoccurs before the batteries have time to recharge.

PowerChute is not known for their easy-to-understand UIs. If you think that's confusing enough, you should see how they implemented PCNS. I have this software running on three PCs and they get UPS status via network. In fact my general purpose PC is on a dumb UPS (no graceful shutdown capability). But with PCNS, it can still receive the shutdown command from the APC UPS.

[​IMG]

7. Juice

Supporter

The Advanced tab doesn’t show anything related to the shutdown. Is it the same with the network version? I have a network card that I can’t install because the slot is in the back and I can’t move it myself. Will need a jack or some sort of air jack to move it.

Advanced Tab
    apcpcat.JPG

#687 Juice, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  8. oj88

I suggest that you find time to turn off everything to be able to remove the batteries. That should make the UPS light enough to maybe slide it out of the rack.

Setting it up using NMC+PCNS vs USB+PowerChute BE/Personal is vastly different. I'll guide you through setting up the former once you're ready to cross that bridge.

What NMC do you have? I have three AP9617 for each of my Smart-UPS 700. I also have an obsolete AP9606 on a shelf somewhere.

Juice likes this.
  9. Juice

Supporter

I got the AP9619. will try to remove the battery on the weekend when school and work is off. I'll also try leaving it on since it says it's hot swap.

#689 Juice, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I found a seller online and bought one of this (the Unifi Flex Mini switch). FYI: It doesn't come with a POE injector which I didn't need anyway... at least not yet. Just finished setting it up to replace a dumb Netgear switch connected to a port on my Edgerouter X. Another dumb TP Link switch is connected to one of the Flex Mini's ports. I was surprised that the Flex Mini identified all the devices connected to that dumb switch, as well as all the devices connected to the Edgerouter X. So I guess that means I don't need to replace that switch with another Unifi Flex Mini (which was my original plan). Satisfied with this purchase at the moment...

#690 fcdiesta, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  11. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi! I need some help with regards to buying a new router for our family home. My folks are complaning about the wifi network I setup there, which consists of the main router and a couple of wifi extenders. They're tired of switching wifis from time to time, so I'm not sure where to start. They're using Converge Fiber Optics by the way.

I was checking the internet for new routers with larger coverage, but I'm not sure what to get? I mean, looking at these new routers, I can't see where to insert the fiber cable? What converge setup in their home is some small white huawei box that has the fiber cable connected underneath. Its the cable that looks like this:

[​IMG]

I'm also checking out the mesh routers, but I just got more confused. Help? Can anyone recommend a router or solution for this problem? :)

12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

You can set-up your converge ONU (the device that connects to the fiber) in bridge mode then you can connect it to a mesh system. Reputable brands such as Linksys, TP-link, netgear, and asus has some mesh systems. You can also try eero or Ubiquiti Amplifi mesh systems as they also have good reviews. It all depends on how large your house is and the interference caused by other wireless signals in your area.

13. warmgreentea

Their house is around 800sqm. So basically, to how I understood it, that white small white router from huawei will still be used, and these small mesh devices will act as a.. wifi extender as well? I'm not sure if there's other wireless signals other than their three wifi signals. I was hoping I could just get one of those gigantic routers with 8 antennaes and all. I'm a noob in all this. :cry:

14. oj88

I think the easiest approach is to call up Converge and inquire about options to shift your subscription to include the mesh whole-home WiFi system. Please look here: https://www.convergeict.com/add-on/seamlesswholehomewifi/

Shinahashirome likes this.
  15. warmgreentea

I never knew this service existed! I'll definitely give them a call for this. Thank you!

16. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

The above post was 7 years ago, but really need help to make the same setup work here in our end. How do you connect an Apple Airport Extreme via LAN cable to a PLDT FIBR router? The idea is to place the Airport Extreme in a location that will give a better WiFi signal than the original PLDT FIBR router... RIght now, after a factory reset, the Airport Extreme shows the green color (usually meaning it is connected), but it actually does not connect to the internet (even if a LAN cable connects it to the PLDT FIBR router). Help?

17. Juice

Supporter

Is the Airport Extreme connected to the LAN 1 of the PLDT Fibr modem? Did you test a computer on the ethernet ports of the Airport Extreme if they work?

18. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

Yes, Airport Extreme is connected to LAN 1 of PLDT FIBR Modem. Before the PLDT FIBR arrived, we were previously using the Airport Extreme via Smart Bro Modem, also connected via LAN, and it was working...

19. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Try using the WAN port of your Airport.

20. oj88

This is a diagram I made years ago. This is typically how you setup a 2nd (or more) wireless router to expand your WiFi coverage without using a repeater or extender.

In your case, assume the following:
    Router 1 = PLDT Router
    Router 2 = AEBS
    DHCP Range = Whatever your PLDT router is dishing out

[​IMG]

Key takeaways:
    1. Generally, there should only be one DHCP server on your network. If the AEBS is the "slave" in your setup, you'll need to turn its DHCP server OFF
    2. To be able to manage the AEBS independently, give it a unique LAN IP address on the same subnet as the PLDT router
    3. The cable connection between routers should be LAN-to-LAN
    4. Configure the same SSID, encryption type, and pre-shared keys (PSK) for both routers
    5. Ensure that the two routers aren't using the same WiFi channel(s). Lookup non-overlapping channels

caffelatte likes this.