Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I've been holding out on doing this for a long time because of work and everything. But now, I have no more excuse.

These kind of tools nowadays, they are getting better and better.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

You know what? I decided not to muck around with Untangle's Postgres schema and settle on the built-in dashboard. :D

[​IMG]

pepspeps likes this.
  3. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

^ Is the Turion II an HP MicroServer, by any chance?

Got busy earlier today. It's suppose to be a rest day, but I had it going and cannot stop. Put up the monitoring for one of my NAS and the new UPS.

[​IMG]

Had to sort out some missing OIDs and MIBs in the process, but there were lots of helpful documentation that can be found and got around them quickly.

4. oj88

Yes it is. Got 6 of them... 3 being used (Untangle, WinSvr2k19-DHCP/DNS, and DSM/XPEnology NAS). The other 3 are still boxed up and sealed. Got spare parts for life.

Pretty lights!

Am I correct to notice that you’ve got telemetry from both your UPS and DSM on the same page? Contextually, they’re different. Does it allow you to put tabs/pages so you can keep unrelated devices separate but still get the “single pane of glass” feel?

5. EG6-R

EG6-R Member

What's the best use for a tower server at home?

I have a excessively specd unit from our office and i dont know what to do with it.

6. oj88

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it. Anyway, what you can or cannot do depends on the specs and what you are into.

Start with; What exactly do you have?

Generally speaking...
    If it's got lots of CPU cores, memory with decent storage: Run virtual machines and build a lab
    If it has lots of storage: Make a NAS or a media server

7. EG6-R

EG6-R Member

I absolutely dont need it! I feel terrible that its just sitting in a corner unused. Its a brand new 2018 T630 from an office blunder. I might as well make it my home desktop if i cant flip it.

8. oj88

It's that time... I've been procrastinating to do this for a while. Replacing the batteries on my UPSs.

My 5 sets of 12V, 9Ah batteries arrived in the mail today
    [​IMG]

First to be serviced is the UPS for my entertainment center, load-testing it under a 200W load, then putting it back where it belong.... behind my A/V equipment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next would be the two APC SmartUPS... each requires two batteries (24V)
    [​IMG]

Once the batteries' been replaced, you'll need to perform a battery constant calibration. It requires the Network Management Cards (NMC) removed and access the UPS using APC's proprietary serial cable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Battery constant calibration is done the old-fashioned way.... serial communications... with a terminal emulator like PuTTY
    [​IMG]

One UPS will be for my main "datacenter" (MDF) to complement the lone APC UPS that is currently protecting it and nearing 80% utilization. The other (3rd) APC UPS went to the ground floor IDF

UPS1 - Still using old but good set of batteries and is protecting my MDF
    [​IMG]

UPS2 - New batteries and currently on my workbench charging overnight with zero load
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPS3 - New batteries and currently protecting my IDF
    [​IMG]

#668 oj88, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    JohannChua, pepspeps and Juice like this.
  9. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Where did you order the batteries? Lazada?

10. oj88

Yepp. K-Star branded ones.

They make UPSes so their batteries should be able to support high-current draws. Load-testing passed. Longevity is another thing. But these are cheap batteries and I'd be happy if I can get 2-3 years out of them.

2nd option is the Intex brand.

Juice likes this.
  11. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Intex uses motorcycle batteries so you have freedom to use whatever brand you want.

12. oj88

A typical motorcycle and/or car battery is not suitable for use in a UPS because they are not designed to be deep-cycled (or subjected to a high depth-of-discharge). In other words, yes, it is possible to use them in a pinch, but they won’t last long and will likely prematurely die of sulfation.

Smaller UPSes such as these use VRLA AGM batteries. But more importantly, not all AGM batteries are made the same. UPSes requires batteries that are capable of dumping large amounts of current on-demand. Many such batteries found on hardware shelves are great for low-current standby uses such as emergency lighting, portable fans, etc. (ie. Akari, Omni, etc.). These have relatively high internal resistance and won’t be able to support a UPS in battery backup mode.

Trust me, I've tried them.

Which then brings me back to my narrative to only use UPS-grade batteries. For starters, buy them from manufacturers that actually builds UPSes. As I've mentioned, options are K-Star, Intex, ProLink... to name a few of the more affordable ones. You can use well-known brands from Yuasa or Panasonic, but you'll need to be sure that they're genuine as there are a lot of counterfeits being sold.

lamski and JohannChua like this.
  13. rockwell

rockwell Member

Can I get link where you ordered those batteries? Thanks

14. oj88

rockwell likes this.
  15. Leon21

Leon21 Active Member

Is it advisable to replace a UPS battery if you've never done it before? Asking for myself when it's time to replace the batteries of my UPS. Seeing that you have calibrations done and whatnot looks very daunting for an enthusiast like me.

16. oj88

Replacing the battery is generally a simple task but that's not to say that there's no danger involved of something going wrong. If the battery has it's own battery compartment that is accessible without tearing it all apart, then it's likely safe to replace it yourself.

Otherwise, you can always take it to an authorized service center if in doubt.

About the calibration, I doubt you'd run into that nonsense.... It's an obscure procedure implemented by APC on their SmartUPS models. I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface about what else I can do or get from it.... without bricking it or triggering a meltdown. Just to put things into perspective, have a peek at the following link to learn more about the APC smart signaling protocol (or don't... it's just pure geek stuff): https://networkupstools.org/protocols/apcsmart.html

Thanks to my dial-up days (Hayes modem AT command set), I still know a thing or two about serial communications. lol... I just given away my age!

rockwell, Leon21 and Sunil_K like this.
  17. emsy

emsy Active Member

is it possible to add cyberghost vpn in an edgerouter?

18. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

19. emsy

emsy Active Member

20. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Just curious. Should I be able to see someone else’s AP? This showed up while I was checking my network. An AP-LR being setup.
    B8B95235-438B-4165-AC3B-AEA4B9786A93.png