Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Doesn't converge use 192.168.100.1?

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Where exactly are you getting stuck?

3. jessec

jessec Active Member

^ Ip conflict, after changing IP of USG,. once adopted it reverts back to its original IP which is the same as converge's 192.168.1.1

4. jessec

jessec Active Member

My converge fiber home uses the 192.168.1.1

5. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

You can try following the steps done here (skip ahead to the 4:33 mark):

This is assuming you already have a Unifi controller (which I glean you already have judging from your other listed equipment). It might be a good idea to put the Converge modem into Bridge mode.

If you can log into the Converge modem, an easier way would be to change the Converge modem's management IP into something else and leave the 192.168.1.1 address for the USG.

6. jessec

jessec Active Member

@fcdiesta , thank you for your suggestion. I don't think converge allow to bridge mode their modem on residential plan.
    Also done the SSH method into USG. IP reverts after adoption.

7. oj88

Have you tried adopting the USG with the Converge router disconnected? After adoption, change the USG LAN IP to something else through the Controller before reconnecting it back to the Converge router.

8. jessec

jessec Active Member

Will try your suggesting, thanks everyone for their input. By the way, I tried connecting the converge fiber X directly to the USG WAN (IP already changed), the USG wizard/page shows green highlight (connected to internet) but when I connect my laptop to the LAN, I can't connect to the internet, don't know why.

9. zChris

zChris Active Member

I had a similar issue about 6-8 months ago. As I recall, same blinking light. However, changing the power supply for me worked. I first used one of those cheap AC/DC adapters to verify, then bought a more legit replacement from Amazon. It is now a spare for me since I got a USG Pro 4.

Are you sure a power supply change plus hard reset didn’t fix it? If the light is blinking, sounds like the hardware itself is ok. Might be a power supply + software issue.

10. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

question, is PLDTs landline thru Fibr considered VOIP considering the cable to the landline handset is going through the modem? i'm trying to find a way to answer landline phones through an app or computer at home so i don't have to make and receive calls from the groundfloor

any suggestions is appreciated. thanks!

11. oj88

It's VoIP.... using SIP, I believe. Personally, I wouldn't mess about with the modem.

Anyway, I've been in the same boat before, way back when we had DSL. I went through the following:

1. Lay down telephone or even a LAN cable from the modem to where you want the phone(s). You can put phone splitters to add more phones. But limit it to a max of 2 or 3, total
    2. Use cordless phones, preferably, DECT phones that can be expanded to multiple stations (if you think it's necessary). They can call each other (intercom) as well as share your single outgoing line.... this works for as long as all handsets are within RF range of the master base station which is typically installed near where the PLDT modem is. You can use a combination of #1 by laying a cable from the modem to the base station so you can strategically place it where it can best serve all handsets
    3. I had issues with RF coverage so I ultimately solved mine using Cisco IP phones. I used an old Cisco router as the voice gateway. It has a couple FXO and FXS ports for the analog interface. One FXO connects to the PLDT analog (POTS) line while one of the FXS port goes to an analog phone at the compound premises for the helper (intercom-only, no outside calls). Some IP phones supports WiFi but most are wired.

Yes, big household. There are 4 families living in one compound and I am the CIO. :D

#651 oj88, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    ronjet, caffelatte and guwapito like this.
  12. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Yup, changed ethernet cables, reset button then power cables but the blinking light persisted.

13. Juice

Supporter

I know the SFP cable is better than the SFP plug with UTP cable separately. But I didn't expect it to be this big. There's a night and day difference between the two. All my 9 surveillance cameras are on switch no.2 and the Unfi Protect is on switch no.1. With the regular SFP with UTP patch cable, the preview loading takes about 2-4 seconds, and loading a live cam will take about 2 seconds. With the one piece SFP cable, preview would take less than 2 seconds, and a live view would almost be instant. Throughput lag seems to be the big improvement.

Attached Files:

14. oj88

I'm surprised that you're able to see that much latency when using 1000BaseT SFP vs a SFP DAC. There shouldn't be any detectable difference between the two if they're both doing 1Gbps.

At gigabit speeds, you're down to the μsec range... certainly not 2 seconds.

A 1000BaseT SFP and DAC (1Gbps) will have identical performance. DAC simply offers a much simpler and cleaner very short-span network connections.

15. Juice

Supporter

Me too, I was surprised myself. I tested the dl speed from switch to switch between two PCs, and both were consistent with gigabit speeds on both cables. The only difference was how quick the other one was to speed up to gigabit speeds.

Note that loading the image was my only measurement, so it can be faster than two seconds but i can definitely tell which one is faster.

16. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

To the Unifi bunch here: Have you heard of the Unifi Flex Mini switch that Ubiquiti recently released? https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-flex-mini
    [​IMG]

It's a 5-port Unifi switch with POE (in only, not out) and can also be powered via USB-C. Some say it can be used as a mirrored network tap (Don't ask me, I also don't what that is. LOL!).

SRP: Just US$30. I hope it reaches our local stores soon. Can't wait to replace my dumb switches (which cost almost as much) with these...

Juice likes this.
  17. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

I really don't know what is happening to Ubiquiti. They seem lost lately with their new products. They should just copy Mikrotik's new products.

#657 wingatu, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  18. oj88

Every company has their passion. It seems like they're starting to dip their feet into IoT, among other things, leveraging their strength in wired and wireless network equipment.

19. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

Had nothing to do today after lunch. Decided to finally dig in into the TIG stack.

pfSense:
    [​IMG]

UniFi:
    [​IMG]

Still planning on bringing in my other services to monitor. Next would be consolidating the most important panels into the main dashboard.

Anyone else using Grafana? What are your dashboards? :)

Juice and oj88 like this.
  20. oj88

That is awesome. I might take a look at that.