Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. legato

legato Member

Thank you for this info oj88... I'll have to study this rate-limit more in order to implement

In any case, called PLDT and the agent was able to resolve my issue. I just complained I'm not getting my stated 25Mbps. And they did something on PLDT end and asked me to stop the ONU for 4 minutes and check again. No more always 5Mbps "download" bandwidth from some IP address.

Do you mean deep packet inspection? application-level determination?

ERX does know which apps are using the packets.

Attached Files:

2. legato

legato Member

Yes it does. Thats why I was stumped why there is a 5Mbps in the ETH0 device but no actual host/ip address that has that "download". Turns out that this may be an issue outside of my network...

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Could it be a carrier thing doing something in the background?

4. Juice

Supporter

Just an update testing the sector antennae with the mesh. It turns out, it does have 2.4ghz capability(very short range). I'm not sure why the forums I went to didn't mention it. It was weaker than the original antennae on the 2.4ghz side. The range on the 5ghz is approximately 50 meters with line of site. I couldn't go any further without breaking the line of site. With a throughput download using the unifi wifi test, i'm gettting 120mbps. There's literally a night and day difference in speed. At night it drops to 30mbps compared to 120mbps in the afternoon. The other mesh with the UMA-D antennae has some issues because it's a directional antennae. When you're behind the antennae, the signal drops significantly even with just a few meters. It even loses a bit of signal sideways too. Front facing, is where it shines. I'm, getting more than 200mbps at 30m day or night.

IMG_4571.jpg
    There's also a toggle between the normal antennae and the UMA-D only present on the controller itself and not on the mobile app(didn't notice that before).
    2ggain.JPG

Dekra likes this.
  5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think that toggle tells the system what antenna is attached. Different antennas have different gains and I believe this toggle lowers the TX power to make sure you are not exceeding the allowable EIRP.

The standard antennas have less gain so you’re allowed to use a higher transmit power. The UMA-D has a higher gain and is typically designed to be mounted high above rooftops and free from obstructions. That means, if you don’t limit the transmit power, you can end up with too much RF emissions... more than what is allowed by law. In practical terms, it can potentially be a source of interference for your neighbors. If your AP comes off too strong, that’s going to be one less channel they can use for their own.

6. legato

legato Member

I wish PLDT told me more what was done... Don't even know how to guess what happened TBH

Although IP address/port (89.187.162.207.xxxx) seems to be coming from SG though

7. Juice

Supporter

You're right, I just checked my sister's Wifi and she was having problems, but only on the 5ghz side. My mesh is situated about 10 meters with two walls in between their wifi modem. It is however, slightly in the line of sight of the UMA-D. Her phone is switching to my SSID instead of her own. I may have to lower the power on the 5ghz band and see.

8. Juice

Supporter

Hey, anyone noticed the update on the controller which now has WiFi AI? It automatically scans and chooses which channels and signal to use depending on density and deployment of AP. it suggests running when there is minimal users around. I'll have to run this on a regular weekday night.
    wifiai.JPG

9. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

They have that feature before and it is called Radio AI don't know why they removed it. Maybe it has a lot of bugs. Good to know that they brought it back.

I am curious why they recommend it to run during off peak hours instead of peak hours. And why did they call it AI if it needs to run on schedule.

10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

1. It needs to run off-peak because scanning and applying RF changes will cause the AP to temporarily go offline for a minute or so. Not a good idea to run this during peak hours
    2. "AI" is a buzzword that is loosely used nowadays that has anything to do with feedback and automation. In this context, the process of scanning, assessing, and applying changes to the RF (channel and power) based on the environment is done automatically... a task that would otherwise require an admin to do manually

I ran the feature for a few days but turned it off eventually. It all looks good on paper but channel and power assignments is something I'm already good at and I'd rather do it on my own. We have a fairly low WiFi noise floor where we live so it's sort of set and forget in my case. Besides, I don't like the idea of having my IOTs getting disconnected once a day. Some IOTs does not take kindly to WiFi regularly going offline.