Home Network Setup

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by oj88, Jun 4, 2013.

1. zChris

zChris Active Member

Note that for Unifi, the “Auto” power setting actually means Full Power. That is, unless they changed it in the past few months as I haven’t checked the UBNT forums recently. Most recommendations around the forum are actually to set the AP power to Low.

In my case, I have all my three APs set to Low for 2.4 and Medium for 5. I used to blast 5 at Full power everywhere but I lowered it to make roaming better. 2.4 has always been at Low to minimize RFI. Even at these settings, if, for example, my Master Bedroom AP goes down (because I’m rebooting it or doing a firmware upgrade) all my devices are still able to roam into the downstairs AP with no issue. For reference, I live in a 110 SQM split level condo with cement walls.

potpot2 likes this.
  2. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I already tried low or medium and I get disconnected downstairs. I just set the AC Pro on medium which the AC mesh connects to, and it works fine. If I put the mesh on low or medium, the devices farrthest away, about 40 to 50 meters seems to have a 2 second delay in connecting to the mesh.

3. jessec

jessec Active Member

Question, I ran the unifi rf environment and found that channels 6 & 11 have plenty of noise/interference, could I use the other cleaner but overlapping channels on the 2.4 . Am deploying 3 AP

potpot2 likes this.
  4. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Nope. Use 1, 6, and 11 only.

Performance is worse when you use the adjacent channels.

jessec likes this.
  5. jessec

jessec Active Member

Got it, thanks, should I stick with the Ht20 or Ht40,

6. oj88

If you have more than one AP or if there is a lot of interference, use HT20 on all APs.

HT20 is obviously slower than HT40, but the signal should prove more stable and the overall throughput could even rival HT40 in "noisy" environments. Also, I read that some Apple products don't like HT40 due to their use of WiFi+Bluetooth combo chips. I can't confirm this independently but, just putting this out here as FYI.

potpot2 and jessec like this.
  7. jessec

jessec Active Member

^ thanks @oj88 , for those insights and tips

8. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

What if i have 4 aps?
    After using 1, 6, and 11, what do i use?
    Thanks!

9. oj88

The two farthest APs can share the same channel.

I have four APs and two of them are on channel 1. I am able to do this because these two APs are too far apart that there's little to no chance of them interfering with each other.

Here are a few examples. Each circle represents an AP, its channel, and its approx. RF coverage (not to scale). As you can see, only the three non-overlapping channels are always used (1, 6, and 11).

On a small scale with 4 APs, it would look something like this:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

On a larger scale, it would typically be setup like cell sites:
    [​IMG]

jessec and potpot2 like this.
  10. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks sir! Always a great help to me!

11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Has any encountered sites that show access denied errors? I cannot access some UK stores when using Wifi but I can if on 3G/LTE.

12. oj88

The network where the WiFi is connected to to access the internet may be blocking those sites.

13. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

What's your provider? My wife is staying in my parents' house that is serviced by Globe DSL and she can't access some Netflix titles that she used to be able to watch...

14. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

It's PLDT FIbr. Is it possible that the website blocked my IP? I cannot also access size.co.uk

By the way, we have the dreaded red LOS light right now. I think the 8- migration affected their Internet service.

15. oj88

size.co.uk is down right now for everybody. https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/size.co.uk.html

You can refer to that site to independently check the status of a website (to determine whether it's up/down or being blocked by your network).

My PLDT Fibr is still up and never went down as far as I can tell from my firewall reports. The bundled landline has been successfully updated to the 8-digit number successfully.

Anyway, internet access and landline on Fibr, even if they're bundled together, are running on two separate systems. A problem with their landline setup will not cause an LOS. A Loss of Signal error is a last-mile connectivity issue between your house and the telephone pole where your fibre cable is terminated (which is usually a switch).

#595 oj88, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    JohannChua likes this.
  16. Juice

Supporter

@oj88 What channels do you you recommend on the 5GHz band?

17. oj88

Let's see....

1. How many 5GHz APs do you have or are you planning to install? Would they be near enough with each other that their signals might cross/overlap?
    2. On interference, do you see your neighbors' 5GHz WiFi in your home?
    3. If the answer to #2 is yes
    - Which channel(s) are they using?*
    - What bandwidth are they using?**
    - How strong is the interference?

Other questions would follow based on your answers to the ones above.

Note:
    * Use an app (ie. WiFi Analyzer)
    ** Refer to the number on the left side of the illustration below (ie. 20, 40, 80, or 160 MHz)

[​IMG]

fcdiesta and potpot2 like this.
  18. Juice

Supporter

I'll get back to this when I get home. I wasn't expecting a detailed answer/question :D But, I appreciate the details.

I changed the APs in Mesh from channel 36 to 157 and the I could tell the throughput was noticeably better. So, I figured I should change the others that has high interference.

JohannChua likes this.
  19. oj88

Hehe. There are a few inter-dependencies kasi. I would imagine you'd want it done right.

JohannChua and potpot2 like this.
  20. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

Bought my first Unifi AP (AC LR) which is connected to my ER-X. Range is comparable with my Asus AC68U except 5GHz data rate. So far so good.

JohannChua likes this.