Home based designer help

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by drigal, Sep 13, 2012.

1. drigal

drigal Member

Good day guys,

I just kindly want to get your opinion. Here's my situation. I'm working as a home base logo designer here in manila, but our office is in baguio and our main is at Canada. They contact me through online so I apply online and hired me online. I work as a regular employee and I have a fix salary every 15th and 30th. We only work 5 days a week from 9 to 6 pm. We our working per project a day. I'm paying my contribution by myself. And I heard that we don't have bonuses and 13 month but we have our increase. We only have 7 days of leave in 1 year along with our birthday leave. Our holiday is based on US holiday. They say our benefits is that we worked home base. I just kindly want to know if what are my rights even if I work as a home base designer. And are they giving us the right treatment? Thank you! Don't have a contract yet but they said that they will send us our contract.

2. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: Home base designer help

Not sure bout this since its the first time i've heard about a full time home based design job. Maybe you should consult DOLE for this but since your head office is in Canada, they have different laws there regarding salaries and leaves. You are getting your salary tax free right? That could be one of the perks working at home.

3. drigal

drigal Member

Yes sir, we are tax free... They said that the admin and the accounting is at bagiou along with the manager in charge. They also have a different rule and regulation to their office employee at bagiuo, they have their bonuses and said they will have their 13 month this year. I think they have been operating for 4 years. I think our office here in the philippines are just making the rule and regulation and just following the holiday at US.

4. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Well for one, if you still about to start work, your status will still be under supervision that's why they havent include bonuses on your contract. But i guess once you reach 6 months, they will let you sign another contract as regular employee with full benefits.

5. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I have the same situation as you are and I have been doing this for more than 4 years now. I am a full time home-based employee and our company is based in the states. I also don't have a 13th month pay but gives me a sort of 'bonus' during December. We have paid leaves and convertible to cash if unused. In my opinion, contracts between two parties in this set up is irrelevant as they can cut you off and not contact you anymore if the services are not needed, all you have initially is some sort of verbal agreement. you may ask for an increase if you think you deserve it because most of the time they won't initiate it.

Let your work ethic/performance demand what is due to you :)

6. earvintosh

earvintosh Member

Regarding 13th month pay, it is mandatory. Does not matter if youre a regular employee or not. Regarding Holidays, Laws to foreign countries does not apply for the main reason that youre working here in the Philippines. The company can follow US Holidays but they are still bound to observe the pay increase whenever you work on a holiday based here in the Philippines. Regarding leaves, I think what you have is the Service Incentive leave. VLs and SLs are not required by law.Does'nt matter where you work, as long as employer-employee has been established by both parties, you are entitled to all of the rights an employee can possibly have.:)

7. v8designstudio

Can any of your employers hire me too? Hihihihi.... I sure could use some money on the sides now that the freakin' iP5 is shippin' soon.

Anyway, to Drigal, tax-free incentives are not a bonus, its your loss, especially if it is your only source of income. Even here on my side of town, Subic Bay Freeport Zone, being a tax-free zone, enterprises are not exempt from income taxes. Your salary should come to you NET of taxes already, and this is withheld at source (your Baguio Office), and with your pay is attached your official payment receipt for your taxes.

If your company does not withhold taxes from you, and you live here, and pay your contributions, you end up paying so much more in bulk.

Still, it is a great thing you have there going. Many companies in the US outsource talent because compared to US rates, they can get 4 maybe 5 talents here versus 1 talent stateside. The breaks are fine if you follow US holidays as your HQ needs contiguous operations. it is no different from call center operations for the 10pm-6am shifts that cater to US BPOs.

As i know it, as long as your US employer is satisfied with your work, you may ask them to increase your salary point blank, these are not personal requests to them especially if they are ISO compliant already, you may even file salary increase petitions every month if you want, and it will be processed. I used to intern at Fedex AsiaOne Hub ops, i have seen how these matters are processed, and i admire it. In fact, you can file salary rate upgrades for so many reasons like length of tenure, satisfaction levels, approval rates, addition of spouse, addition of dependents, logistical reasons, and so on.

Just try it. We all can use extra money on the pocket. It is perfectly fine to do so.

8. drigal

drigal Member

Good day Sir, thank you for your reply. But all the home base artist are like me, I already talk to the manager in charge. And he say that we have no bonuses, 13 month, etc. And our only benefits is that we work at home.

9. drigal

drigal Member

Thank you sir about your reply. We also has pad leaves but I don't know if it is convertible to cash. And yes it's true, they can cut us off and not contact us anymore if the services are not needed. Thank you Sir for your sharing.

10. drigal

drigal Member

Thank you Sir for your reply, it's true that 13 month is mandatory here in the Philippines and if that is the case,our office here in the Philippines should follow the rules and regulation of Labor here in our country. Is that right?

11. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

Just a question, being home-based, how do they monitor you working from 9am-5pm?

I think what you mentioned is basically what you will receive, wether you are on probation or not. Probation period frees both parties from any legal implications if one of the party decided not to pursue the employment. Your contract should indicate your entitlements and need not sign another contract after the probation period.

12. drigal

drigal Member

Thanks for your advice sir. But is it ok to do that? As far as I'm concern, one of the founder of this business is a Filipino and he is our boss right now. All the artist has no direct contact from the office. Only our boss is talking to them. And even the employee in our office has low salary than us home based artist because they are in provincial rate.

13. drigal

drigal Member

I think sir gwapito, we are working in one company... :) Just kidding!

14. drigal

drigal Member

They monitor us through yahoo messenger. We only have a number of project per day and we must finished it within the day and after that we are done, we just need to monitor if there are any revisions. Even the employee at our main office don't have a contract yet.

15. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Drigal,

Home based work is slowly becoming popular as business lifestyle changes. The terms and conditions this company is offering you is more or less common and not surprising. Usually they don't follow Philippine labor laws or benefits. Some don't even offer yearend bonuses. Usually these companies are not registered locally here to SEC, DTI etc

You will just need to do a bit of accounting if what they are paying you is reasonable. You will need to factor in the cost of your computer, upgrade expenses, computer depreciation, repair costs. And the cost of your electricity, intent or even fixtures. I know of a friend who used to work in a regular local job, as in a local phil company with DTI and SEC registration and providing standard labor benefits like philhealth. paid leaves etc. His salary was php28k a month. So the computer, internet is provided by the company or other office equipment. Then he got an offer for a home based work which my friend accepted and resigned from his job. The offer was php45k a month and a yearend bonus. Its higher but the trade off is he has to provide his own computer, internet etc and no health benefits. Another reason he accepted the home based job is he has no transpo expenses, outside meal expenses and he is still able to accept outside freelance work as added income.

You'll just have make the "checks and balances" along the way. Some US companies only offer low salaries like php25k to 30k a month which may not be reasonable considering its a full time job and you shoulder the computer expenses. There are no right or wrong answers here in my opinion. Its maybe where you are most happy with and enjoying your work. And like what others mentioned, there is that risk you may be terminated anytime or your paycheck gets delayed for home based work. Good luck

16. drigal

drigal Member

Thank you Sir for the information. It really helps me a lot! :)

17. wildside

wildside Member

In addition, i dont think that working from home is considered as benefits on your part specially they didnt provide you equipments or paid your bills for this scenario.

18. drigal

drigal Member

I agree sir, they didn't provide us our equipment.

19. lomster

lomster Member

Here's my 2 cents.

I have 2 older sisters who work from home, one does work for a company in Canada and the other from Australia. One of my sisters work 8 hours a day 5 days a week and only gets paid for the hours rendered, no double pay and no bonuses. One of the perks of her jobs though since it is in the medical field is that she was given one of the most expensive medical insurance offered locally (daughter included). And since she works from home, she does other freelance work as well and enables her to earn more. My other sister works about 4-5 hours a day getting paid around $20 and hour and she gets yearly bonuses and performance bonuses but no medical insurance. And she also does freelance work for other companies as well since all her work is output oriented (meaning if the company requires her to do a project with a 5 hour deadline and she finishes the project in an hour, she still gets paid for the 5 hours). Both of them work during Philippine holidays and don't get premium pay and that they don't have work during the holidays of Australia and Canada respectively. They also have to manually file their taxes and SSS and philhealth and other stuff by themselves since they work outside of an office environment.

I think If you work from home, you won't be able to get all the benefits of working in the office like holiday premium pay, bonuses, insurances and other stuff that are offered by the company. Even if the company is located locally but not within your area because I think that this is still considered as freelance work unless you have an initial agreement with your employer (correct me if I am wrong on this). If you move to where the office is located in work on location 40 hours a week, i think you will get all the benefits of an office employee depending on what your company offers (13th month, paid vacation leaves, insurance and etc) and you will be getting a lower salary base as well as you've mentioned earlier in your post since the office is located in the province.

I was also in this situation before when I was doing freelance design work. Income is high because I charge on a per project basis but then again, when I don't have any projects, I don't get paid. I didn't have any other perks or benefits since I was only freelancing at that time. My current situation right now is different, I work in an american company in Manila and I get the benefit of being able to work from home when I don't feel like going to the office, but I am still required to come in to the office to give out updates and always have to be available for meetings when working from home. I opt to work in the office since working from home is expensive especially when I need to jump into a call. I have to use IDD through via cellphone because I don't have VOIP and my internet connection at home sucks. And coming to the office is more fun than being alone at home.

Bottom line is, working from home has its pros and cons. You get to work at the convenience of your own house and get paid for it. You can even have multiple jobs without being questioned since your boss won't be able to see you. Other benefits outside your agreed rate are now under the discretion of your employer. I don't believe that there are laws or regulations regarding WFH getting full benefits of a regular office based employee. If there is, then you should bring it to the attention of your employer (but i don't think that it would be a good idea to do that since they might let you go if they think you will cause them problems in the long run).

HTH

#19 lomster, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  20. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

hahaha i dont' think so....i'm the only one employed here in manila and the rest are in the US..... :)

as for monitoring...they dont' have to monitor me because we have a system where responses to other clients are seen and the time stamps are there. btw, i dont' work as a graphics designer but a systems administrator