High-speed Internet Service/Rental

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by fiona, Sep 12, 2014.

1. fiona

fiona Member

Hi, a friend needs to upload a big amount of media but her office internet is slow. Are there places in Metro Manila that have high-speed internet that you can use per hour or per day? Thank you!

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

You may want to try using hotel Wi-Fi?

Or maybe your phone's LTE.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmmm......fastest ever hotel wifi that I've experienced in the Philippines is the in-room wifi at Holiday Inn Suites in Makati. Damn fast and consistent 12 to 15 Mbps download and upload, 24/7. Make it a short staycation. Check in, upload, forget about it and go up to the swimming pool/bar area to chill out. Lol!

4. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I agree with LTE. Get a Smart LTE Prepaid SIM, check out Smart towers with LTE, and find a cafe near it, where you have direct line of sight, and as close as possible. For its 50-peso a day unli service, I'm sure it's enough for your friend. I'm getting consistent 40-50mbps downloads, and 20mbps uploads. But maybe it's different here in the province, coz only a few of us are using LTE. But check this out ...

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmmm.......LTE ba ng Smart truly unli? Di ba yung unli is only unli kapag di pa reach yung data cap?? Kapag na reach mo na, di ba sinasakal yun speed mo to 3G or worse? Unless I'm terribly misinformed. If so, I'm running with my pajamas to the nearest Smart because it is just silly silly silly that in 2014, we're still in the bottom rung in terms of broadband speed in the region while paying more compared to our Asean brethren. Therefore, its not going to work for @Fiona's friend who, if I understand correctly, has gigabytes of gigabytes of videos to upload and done pronto.

6. Everythinglou

Everythinglou Member

Smart prepaid has no data cap but in the other hand the postpaid plans has limits

7. Everythinglou

Everythinglou Member

Are you using a hotspot or pocket wifi?

8. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

Using a Huawei B593s-22 modem / router with external MIMO antenna maybe 40ft from the ground and facing the tower, which I think is 3kms away. If using a pocket wifi or phone, maybe it won't be as fast at that distance. Best to be as close to the tower as possible.

9. Everythinglou

Everythinglou Member

Oh nice using the same router :)) but unfortunately my connection is to slow for the past week ranging from 0.65-5mbps Hopefully smart will fix this usually I get 11mbps - 25mbps what sim are you using mobile or broadband?

10. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

I use ordinary Smart Prepaid yung LTE-powered. Not Broadband. I used to have the Broadband, but not easier to find load when you're somewhere out there. Yung ordinary LTE, kahit sa kanto lang pwede pa load. Yeah I notice dito sa Metro, mabagal ang LTE kahit naka full signal strength. Lamang kami sa probens. :)

11. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Used to load 2 500 cards to my SIM... I ended up with too many free texts =) so I bought another sim and alternated the SIMs.

If you download too much your sim will be 'misaligned' (no LTE signal), you're better off buying a new SIM by then.