HELPLESS: Anyone can help me with MySQL or Navicat?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by sarski, Apr 2, 2008.

1. sarski

sarski Guest

Eventhough I've been designing (professional looking) websites with MS Frontpage before when I was still a PC user, I know I can't qualify myself as a real web designer. Recently, I was asked to be the new webmaster of my company's website which was made with PHP & SQL. I have no idea what those were, but tried to follow the ex-webmaster's advice to download Navicat (they use the Windows version) and add/edit tables with it - which was easy to learn.

Since I'm working on a site with lots of bands, the tables are consisting of band names, profiles - with photos. I was quite happy that I have managed to add bands on the list (on another table), add members to the exiting bands (on the other). Both of them have to be paired with photos I have successfully uploaded to the site. I just followed the pattern that was used in link the images.

Now, the problem is, I can't make the images appear on the site, eventhough I have the right link to it.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

Do I really have to use Microsoft Access or Navicat is enough for this? How do I make the photos appear? Is there a process like exporting to a particular file to be uploaded? Or does the process include Microsoft Access?

HELPLESS! Please help!

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@sarski, it's more complicated than you think...but I don't want that to be discouraging you. First and foremost, I would have no idea how the system is designed and how the system picks up the photo from the tables that you update.

You need to understand the architecture behind your system first before asking which DB tool you need to use. In short, the DB tables are there but you need to know how the records relate to each other and how the PHP code picks up the references.

On first read, I don't think MS Access will help you since it is a PHP & SQL system - probably MySQL.

3. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Are you storing the pictures in BLOB (Binary Large Object) columns? If yes, you need to find a way to write it back out as an image then create a link to that image so that it will show up in your webpage.

An alternative could be to simply store the paths to the pictures. Just make sure that your webserver has access to those directories.

4. sarski

sarski Guest

WOW thanks lamski! Now that's technically far fetched for me! LOL. I'm not sure about storing the images in BLOB, but what do I need to do to find it if they were stored in BLOB?

What I did was follow what was done on other band names which is putting the link/path to the images on the PHOTO column. But I know that's not right and I'm not doing the right thing because the images won't show.

The columns where named as follow:
    1. band name
    2. currently playing (their present location)
    3. thumbnail (links to their photo)
    4. photo (where i put the path of the image)
    5. writeup (profile)

I realized that when I edit the TEXT on each column, the content on the site is automatically changed so I feel a little relieved for that. But their images are not shown. Huhuhu!

PS: The webmaster refuses to reply my msgs/mails as he's not with the company anymore. :-(

5. sarski

sarski Guest

bacchus... thank you. im really helpless as the ex-webmaster refuses to reply on my msgs/mails. my friend wishes me goodluck as he told me, i will need to take a course to fully understand what im doing.
    what i really need to do is JUST update the photos and make them seen on the site, because editing text is an instant thing on the site. *pulls hair*

6. bacchus_3

Hmmm...ok, now that you explained the columns and saying that the site changes with your updates I think it can be remedied (I should have asked that in the first place ;) )

1. Would all you need to change is one table? (seems like you're editing only a table with your post)
    2. Compare the other records to get an idea how to put values in the thumbnail and photo column.
    3. Do you know where you should put the images in your web application? You may be assuming your photos will only need a link on your workstation but if you figure out no. 2 above, then you'd understand that you need to put the images somewhere in the server.
    4. You posted this under iApps so I'm not sure what Mac app or system your using to maintain your application - you've mentioned MS Access and Navicat for Windows. :)

7. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Try this - from your browser, open the problematic page - the one without pictures. Right-click then view the page source.

See where the band photos img src links point to - make sure that they are valid links.

You might just need to adjust the photo links so that they appear on the page.

8. sarski

sarski Guest

@BACCHUS... thank you!

1. this is the only table that has photo linking/path, but there are other tables (members list, clients (venues), staff (company), guestbook (comments we get from the website). but this table BAND LIST is the only table i'm concerned in working with.

2. that's what exactly what i did. i just followed how the path/link were done w/ other records, changing the folder (band images are sorted out by folder on the server).

3. i dont even have to use a webdesigning app since what i just needed to do is to update the band records. i use YUMMY FTP to upload the files, particularly images, and to download the files from the server to back it up on my machine.

4. i'm using Navicat Lite for Mac. :)

9. bacchus_3

seems like you're doing it correctly. Try lamski's suggestion to validate the point # 3 and to add, use the complete URL and open it on another browser window if you can open the image - to differentiate between an [a] the table record issue, or the image is not visible from your web host even if you uploaded it thru FTP.

10. sarski

sarski Guest

guess what?!?!?

i figured out its all about CASE-SENSITIVITY (hope so). the thumbnails are showing now since file itself is <thum.jpg> and not <Thum.jpg>. what shows in Navicat was with the capital T!

i can now see the thumbnails of the bands, and not just "unloaded images" with question mark in the middle of it!

im doing some progress but im not really sure whether i'm really doing the right thing. wll try to edit the bands tonite and tell you.

thanks lamski and bacchus!

11. bacchus_3

Assuming you're on a *Nix server (likely for a PHP-MySQL system), case sensitivity is important with URL/pathnames. That's good progress sarski :)

12. sarski

sarski Guest

tnx bacchus!
    i must admit after all the stress i had, i felt a great relief!
    now time to run the show! :)