HELP with my Ibook G3 please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by lorenzadam, Feb 18, 2010.

1. lorenzadam

lorenzadam Guest

Hi Guys!

I have bought an Ibook G3 last year from an online ad.

It's a second hand laptop and I bought it for 25,000php cash.

Problem is, after about 3 months, the monitor won't turn on but you know that it's still working.

I have already sent it to Apple Repair and they said that they need to replace some parts of it but don't have any available since Ibook G3 is already obsolete.

I can't just let my 25k be put to waste so I need to have the laptop working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Lorenz

2. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Try Ynzal, they might be able to help you out.

3. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i got lots of spare parts for the ibook g3, which parts do you need? pm or text me at 09167918924.

4. lorenzadam

lorenzadam Guest

@bad_boy- Thanks man! I will try them out!

@Mark_17- I am not sure. The repair people from Apple just told me that it needs some parts to be replaced but didnt really specified which. Even if they do, I wont be able to repair it myself. Where'd you get the parts from?

Guys,

Please continue to share infos if you can. Please. Please. Please!!!

I really appreciate it!

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

if there is anyone here who can help you with parts for ANY mac, it'll be mark_17...

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

First thing you need to know is the exact part needed. Go to Ynzal. They are very honest with repairs. If they don't have the parts, ask them what is needed so you can source it through mark_17 or ebay. There are lots of parts on ebay.

7. lorenzadam

lorenzadam Guest

you guys are amazing!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Yup I'll do that!

Thanks!!!

8. carlodude

carlodude Member

I have an old monitor from my iBook G3 which I sold for parts before. PM me if you're looking for one, and if you want the specs.

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@lorenzadam, yup, bring it to Ynzal. My bro-in-law's old iBook G3 800MHz also exhibited the same symptoms (LCD blacks out). Ynzal determined it was a failed inverter cable. Ordered the part online and will have them replace it when it arrives.

10. peppers

peppers Member

Buying an ibook G3 at 25K is not practical..its expensive..and you will not enjoy the benefits of the latest tech (software wise) nowadays.

Blackout of the screen, maybe due to one or any of the following.

1. loose Ram
    2. Inverter cable
    3. PMU
    4. Video Card
    5. monitor/LCD if it is
    5. Logic board

Note that logic board is the last part that might be damaged if all else are okay.

Gudluck.

11. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@peppers, you're right, I definitely won't recommend that anybody spend P25,000 on an iBook G3 now. With that kind of money, you can probably get a early generation MacBook in good condition.

12. b33jred

b33jred Member

@mark_17 The CD drive of my iBook G3 500 is busted.. Help? B-)

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I know it's a bit too late but P25,000 is expensive even for a late model iBook G4. You can get a better machine for less. I am using an Indigo RS130 form Compex and it does things better than an iBook G4. Sorry for the shameless plug but you cannot buy a MacBook for P19,000. If you look at early MacBooks they have near netbook specs. 1.8ghz cpu, 512mb ram, Intel GMA 950 graphics, 120gb hdd. I know. I was surprised too.

14. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i have one available. pm or text me at 09167918924 if you want it.

15. peppers

peppers Member

@b33jred---Cd Drive is not difficult to find, internal or xternal. I used to go to greenhills to find drives that are compatible with any apple computer I used to have. You can find a good one that has a better functionality than the one apple has. You see, you can update the firmware or even install a DVD drive of a different brand than buying an apple ( suggested) cd Drive.

Let me suggest: before you go to Mark_17 proposal...

1. If you have a credit card..google a cd or DVD drive that is compatible with your Computer. If the price is right, go purchase it. Then go to an Apple Service provider and let them install it for you if you are not confident of DIY.
    2. Search compatible drives somewhere but not in Malls as they might have a higher price. Try Greenhills, Makati Parksquare.. Ive not visited them long time ago as I am outside the country right now..
    3. One good thing to do is buy an external cd/dvd drive..this way you will have the latest hardware in terms of speed and firmware, and you dont have to pay for installation service plus will not take your ibook at risk during servicing.There are slim cd/dvd drive I saw here in the US and even Saudi Arabia where I used to work and this is not hard to carry with you on mobile..Be careful though of the connection..(USB or Firewire) find out from your machine.
    4. Lastly......Try the guy above...mark_17...

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The iBook G3 will not boot off an external cd drive. You cannot install OS X this way in case you need to. Better to replace your internal cd rom.

17. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

it can, as long as its thru the firewire port... there are other ways to reinstall os x aside from using the built-in optical drive.

18. peppers

peppers Member

@mark_17....I agree with you buddy....experience...the best mentor...

19. lorenzadam

lorenzadam Guest

Guys!

I really really appreciate your feedback! Cant thank you enough!

I know i was sooo stupid not to research first about the Ibook G3. But it has already been done and Ive learned my lesson.

Your replies made me nosebleed! Id have to read them over again so I could understand them hahaha!

I saw another ad in Facebook about a new powermac being sold at about P60k but guess Im not buying that.

I just hope I make my G3 relive and that will make me happy.

Im not really techie so I wont need any new technology haha!!!

You guys rock!

@b33jred- can you kindly post this as a different topic? I am so sorry but it confuses me whether the people are referring to your case or mine. Hope you understand man.

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Given the age of your iBook, it will be just a matter of time before other parts die. I suggest you cut your losses and find a newer Mac. You paid P25k for something that should be below P15k. I say you've spent enough. Having it repaired will only bump your total cost making the purchase ridiculous. Sell your broken mac for parts. I know this advice is harsh, but it will save you in the long run.