Help! Volume structure of Hard drive damaged. Cant boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Macmon, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

My macbook's hard drive somewhat suddenly went haywire the other day. Tried to repair it with disk utility but it made it worse and now I cant boot on it. I used techtools deluxe during bootup and while trying to repair the volume, it suddenly stops and informs me that it cant be repaired?

Anyone who can suggest what to do?
    I was looking at diskwarrior but unfortunately the price is 99 US dollars. It has no trial mode and I dont want to invest on it since I am not even sure if it can still recover my files.

thanks in advance.

2. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Boot from the Mac OS CD and try to repair your drive using Disk Utility.

3. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Best thing to do is use Disk Warrior. Never fails me to revive a disk with failed directory.

4. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Bring it to iFix, they might be able to help.

5. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

This is the easiest and the most immediate solution one can try...

;)

6. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Tried to boot from CD but unable to repair.
    I like to try diskwarrior but apprehensive to pay for the price tag and then I am not sure if it can even repair it.

Where is iFix?

7. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Though I am not sure if this is the right solution, there was a time I could boot with my HD and after using Diskwarrior, it fixed the problem. It's worth the $99 dollars as I have used Diskwarrior for many years and it's reliable. TechTool Pro and Drive Genius could not do that kind of directory repairs; not as reliable as Diskwarrior.

8. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Bring it to a technician. From there you can decide. If you have an extra hard drive and try replacing it or let the technician do it. That way you can tell if the hard drive is defective or worn out. Disk Warrior is expensive and its even cheaper if you get a new one. downside is you will lose all your data and start from scratch.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with iJingo, if you have a Time Machine backup then it might be more practical to purchase a cheap internal HD to replace yours or better yet, if that HD is the default HD that came with your Mac and you are still within warranty then Apple can replace it for a brand you one. The thing is buying Diskwarrior is also a gamble since it still might not be able to repair it if the failure is hardware.

10. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Macmon,

I sent you a PM which might help you with your HD problem. Thanks.

11. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

There's another solution I think. Use Disk Utility from the installer.

12. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

According to DiskWarrior Manual:

Caution: If you suspect there is directory damage on your disk, it is recommended that you
    run DiskWarrior before other disk repair utilities. Other disk repair utilities may render the
    directory damage irreparable even to DiskWarrior.

With that said, don't go the DiskWarrior route anymore. Apparently running TechTool Deluxe and Disk Utility just made things worse.

13. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Went to my favorite Apple reseller in Kamias, Liteware and had the macbook checked.
    Two thumbs up for them especially to Nick. :)
    Fortunately, they tried diskwarrior and thank God it was able to recover the volume. Then they made the archieve and install since even after the volume repair, my macbook still wont boot properly.
    And then he tried to trouble shoot the hard drive, it was okay.
    Then he checked my 2 one gig RAM modules and voila!
    1 of the modules were defective which is why I get hangs and unbootable setup.
    After replacing the defective module, it was all working again.

The defective RAM screwed up my hard drive.

Lesson learned: Do a regular backup (my last one was in Aug 2009)
    Now bought Superduper for my incremental backups. :)

I just need to have my defective RAM replaced under warranty.
    Thanks for all who have given their suggestions. Appreciate it.

14. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Great. Backup is the lesson. Which reminds me how will I be able to do that. I have only 1 external drive 320gb WD and is now working as a Time Machine backup with my Mini. I don't have a backup for my MacBook Pro. Im thinking of sending back all the files in my mini (which I don't know how) and reformat/repartition my 320gb to 3 volumes. 1 for mini, 1 for MBP and 1 as an external generic for PC files. This requires a lot of thinking of googling.

That was fast, found already a solution using Disk Utility. Come to think of it, my 320GB External is just so small to serve as backup drive for 3 machines.

#14 ijingo, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  15. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

I am using Superduper and the unregistered version can do a backup using a disk image which will make you use still your present partitions. Check out their website.

16. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Do I really need Time Capsule to wirelessly backup?

17. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow thats the first time I heard that defective RAM can cause Hard disk maladies.

18. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Its the constant bootup that did not complete and need to restart. Somewhat the volume structure was affected.