Help upgrade memory of MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Mad Mac, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I have a late 2007 MacBook 2.2ghz. I want to upgrade ram to 4gb. Will two 2gb 800mhz ddr2 work or should I use 2bg 667mhz ddr2? I am looking at the Kingston brand. Will these work. I've read reports on problems booting up with a pait or 800mhz ddr2 ram. What will be the optimum ram setup for this particular MacBook?

2. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I've read that you can use the 800Mhz, it just that the speed will be downgraded to 667Mhz for your system since it can run on 667Mhz. If that's the case, if the 800Mhz is more expensive, why not just get the ol' 667 MHz.

Me, I have the 667Mhz. Just went with the Specs in the Manual.

3. kinetic88

kinetic88 Member

Looking into upgrading my macbook's ram from 2mb to 4mb too.

@rafaelc378
    Does it give a significant increase in speed when you have multiple apps open? Can you recommend a place where I can get the ram at a good price?

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@kinetic88: Speed I really can't tell, but I had markedly fewer instances of the "spinning beach ball" when I upgraded to 4GB. As for prices, I really couldn't tell you since I upgraded more than I year ago and I'm sure prices have changed since then.

5. ifix

ifix New Member

If you're using aftermarket RAMs, make sure that the 800mhz modules are indicated as backwards compatible. We've had several upgrades in our shop using 800mhz modules for 667mhz systems and they run without any hitch. Rafaelc378 is right, your system still runs the RAM at 667mhz.

6. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Thanks for all your help. I got two Elite 2GB DDR2 667Mhz cards. My MacBook is really peppy with 4GB. I'm jizzing in my pants now.

7. chi.mac

chi.mac Member

How much did you shell out for the 2x2GB DDR2 Memory? I'm planning to upgrade mine too. Thanks!

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

P2500 for the pair. Call this guy: 092064451. Found him on tipidpc. He delivered here in QC. Their office is in Cubao. Professional seller with receipt and warranty.

9. francisko

francisko Member

@mad mac: sir can i have the complete phone number, if you still have it? you really got a good bargain there. just checked tipidpc a while ago, the prices of 2gb ddr2 is at P2500.. so if you got it at P2500 for a pair that is really cheap.

thanks in advance.

10. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

I also want to upgrade the RAM on my Macbook. Too bad the only available sellers of DDR3 1067 are too expensive, while a reliable one that sells cheaply has run out of stock. Wait mode for me in the meantime...

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Sorry, that's 0920-644-51-10.

12. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Is the Team Elite brand compatible with the Macbook? Wala bang issues kung yun ang ikakabit?

Follow up question sa upgraders,

Di ba bumilis ang drain ng battery when going from 2GB to 4GB?

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yes, I used the Team Elite on my MacBook. For memory hog apps, the 4gb sped things up.

14. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Ahh, that's good. Si Louie ba contact mo sa TPC? kasi alam ko sya ang seller ng Team Elite RAM na taga QC eh..I dealt with him before when he upgraded the RAM of my wife's laptop. Free installation pa.

Wala naman effect sa battery life? Di ba bumilis ang drain ng battery? Kunsabagay, less hard drive reads, kahit mas magastos sa power ang higher RAM, quits lang ang lalabasan.

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yes, I dealt with Louie. No effect on battery life. MacBook is more responsive with heavy apps.

16. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Thanks. I'll probably upgrade my RAM soon. I'm just waiting for my friend's reply if he can get me Kingston RAM at dealer's price. He works at one of the Apple resellers in Makati.

If not, I'll try the Team Elite or Apacer.

17. francisko

francisko Member

@mad mac: thank you sir!

18. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Upgraded my Macbook's RAM to 4GB. It definitely feels faster even when I run Parallels desktop alongside Firefox, Quicktime, among others.

19. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yup, virtualization takes up a lot of memory. 4GB is plenty.

20. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

I agree. Now, everything runs fast. Its great.

Btw, I talked to our contact Louie about the DDR3? His prices went up by P100. Another seller was selling it P200 lower but I decided to look some more and found someone selling 2nd hand DDR3's with still 8 months shop warranty for P3,200 for 2 sticks of 2GB RAM. The price was so good, I had to buy it from him.

Now I'm testing the RAM and it looks good. Its one acquisition I'm quite pleased with. Of course, 2nd only to my buying the Macbook. Hahaha