help updating mac os x 10.5

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kel_so27, Sep 17, 2009.

1. kel_so27

kel_so27 New Member

hi guys, ive recently tried updating my mac book, my os is ver. 10.4.11 ( i know ancient!) so i went to mac website and downloaded 10.5.8... finished it but couldnt install it.. im so clueless... im new to mac so if anyone could help me?

i dnt even know how to see if im using leaopard, tiger or whatever animal LOL...

thanks so much!

2. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

You're using Tiger (10.4)
    You need to install Leopard (10.5) to install the 10.5.8 update. :)
    Maybe you should buy Snow Leopard (10.6) na lang. :D

3. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

Hi keL. You can't possible do that update, it's because your Mac Operating System is on Tiger Version which is from 10.4 to 10.4.11.

The next Mac Operating System after that Tiger version is 10.5 which is Mac OS X Leopard.

You need to have that Operating System first before updating to 10.5.8.

The New Mac OS X today, is actually version 10.6 which is Snow Leopard.

You can just buy this new Operating System to any Apple Authorized store provided that the specs of your mac is supported with this new operating system. Please check Apple website to learn more.

4. kel_so27

kel_so27 New Member

is it expensive?? =) is there any tutorial classes with regards to using mac? i just feel im not using my laptop at its fullest =?

5. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

Hi keL, I can actually teach you and help you something to know more about Macs. Kindly read your private message. I'll do this for free.. :)

6. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

you can get your own copy of Snow Leopard at a 1,690-pesos-ish price point. available at all local apple resellers.

7. kel_so27

kel_so27 New Member

oh, not bad... might just do that =) thanks guys!

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Kel, there are many free classes in PowerMac/iStudio/etc on how to use your Mac.
    Take advantage of it!

Leo

9. rviadojr

rviadojr Member

kel,

was in the same boat as you, i upgraded to snow leopard from tiger and did a clean install on my drive. Now freed up about 20g hd space! everything is faster and feels like a new laptop just because of the upgrade!

dont forget to back up your files!

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

What is your Mac? Some older Macs are better off with OS X 10.4. I had an iBook G4 that was faster with Tiger. Same with my bro's PowerBook G4. Now I'm using a MacBook and it is lovely with Snow Leopard.

11. zasRo

zasRo Member

hi guys! im currently in 10.5.6 and wanting to upgrade. problem is i lost my cds and is a bit worried i might be needing them when i do the upgrade.. 10.5.8 upgrade. Do i need to have those cds to do the upgrade? Will the applications i have installed all be wiped out?
    Thanks in advanced!

12. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Don't worry. You don't need those CDs to upgrade to 10.5.8 and all your apps and documents will stay. Your problem would be if you decide to reinstall your OS. You will need the Leopard CDs. But you can get Snow Leopard naman and it's really affordable. :D

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Actually I've discovered that the original install discs are needed for more than just reinstalling the OS. It's also needed for reinstalling some of the original software/apps and some additional packs that may not have been originally installed.

I was using iDVD to create a photo slideshow DVD. I wasn't happy with some of the themes and wanted to use some older themes. It prompted me to either download it using Software Update or with the Install Discs. I was already downloading stuff at the time and to save bandwidth, I just popped in the DVD.