Help! Unable to Verify macOS

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by amieldh, Jan 10, 2020.

1. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

I decided to do a clean install of macOS Catalina on my 2018 MacBook Air last night and what seems to be a simple task ended up to be a long, long agonizing experience. Until now, I haven't installed macOS yet, both Catalina or Mojave.

Did the usual things... logged out from iCloud, rebooted my Mac into internet recovery and erased my SSD.....did this a couple of times before...but when it hits the "2 minutes remaining", that's where the error pops up, "Unable to Verify macOS". Worst part is, I can't install macOS using my USB drive since I was not able to disable the T2 security...

Anybody else experienced this before? Tried googling, youtubing, even twitter....no avail..

2. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Go to the Apple Store at ICON Siam. They're uber helpful. You just need to schedule a Genius Bar appointment before going

amieldh likes this.
  3. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I already have a schedule for tonight but in the meantime I’m looking for solutions to avoid going there if possible. Will they charge you if the warranty has already expired? Was not able to get apple care for this machine eh. I talked to a couple of advisors today and one told me that I won’t be charged, but the other one said the opposite.

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

5. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

6. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

I found a solution!

You will need:

1. A functioning Mac (preferably without a T2 Chip).
    2. External Hard Drive
    3. Bootable macOS Installer USB drive

Do these:

A. On your working Mac:

1. Plug both External Hard Drive and USB Installer to your Mac.
    2. Reboot your Mac and hold the “option” key upon booting.
    3. Select the “Install macOS Catalina” (USB Drive).
    4. Erase your External Hard Drive using Disk Utilities.
    5. Install macOS Catalina to your External Hard Drive.
    6. SHUT DOWN your Mac when you see the “Welcome Screen” asking you for your country.
    7. Disconnect your External Hard Drive.

B. On your “problematic” Mac:

1. Plug your External Hard Drive with the newly installed macOS to you Mac and turn it on.
    2. Hold the command and R keys to enter Recovery Mode.
    3. In the Disk Utilities, click the “RESTORE” button and select your External Hard Drive as the source. It will copy macOS from the External Hard Drive to the Internal SSD of your Mac.
    4. Run First Aid on the Internal SSD of your Mac (to repair something..lol! didn't work the first time I did a reboot without running first aid).
    5. Select your Internal SSD as the Startup Disk.
    6. Reboot your Mac.

#6 amieldh, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    lamski likes this.