HELP! snow leopard dilemma

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kaloyster, Sep 4, 2009.

1. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

upon updating to the newest cat, my USB to IDE drive cannot be detected anymore. it's my 250GB drive w/c i got from ebay. it contains ALL of my files. i tried almost everything:

1. disk utility
    2. restart with leopard cd and disk utility from there
    3. removing jumpers from the drive
    4. putting it on the pc just to back up the files

but it cannot be detected.

please anyone with extensive mac knowledge, help a fellow philmugger. thank you in advance!

2. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Connect the drive to a different Mac and see if it can be detected.
    For all we know it could be a defective drive enclosure.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf Member

I agree, or maybe its the cable or the port you are using on your mac, sometimes the enclosure needs high current.... try using a powered hub

4. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

problem is, i don't have any other mac besides what i'm using. are there any solutions? coz disk utility is asking me to backup all files, reformat the drive, and put the files back in. but i cannot even get the disk detected.

5. zoldhic

zoldhic Member

try DiskWarrior that compatible with snowLeopard.

6. RC

RC Active Member

What kind of Mac is it?

Have you tried booting up from the installer disks?

Also based on your post this is the external drive right? Were you able to boot after you updated?

Was the drive detected on your PC?

7. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

@rc:

1. it's an imac

2. yes, i tried booting up (snow leopard disc). and from there i used disk utility to verify and repair the troubled disk. no avail.

3. yep an external (usb to ide) upon booting my mac while the drive is installed, it gives me an error saying "cannot be detected" with the options of run disk utility, eject and ignore

4. the pc can detect the drive via the taskbar, but it won't show up on the list of drives via my computer.

8. mig

mig Active Member

It was working fine before you installed SL, then all of a sudden it stopped working after you installed SL? Did anything happen to it in between 10.5 and 10.6? Was it plugged in while you were installing? Have you tried plugging it into a different computer?

9. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

@mig: yes it was fully working on 10.5.8 leopard. all of my files (important ones) are there. when i got the cd i installed it and then i noticed the drive isn't showing up on the list of disks. i ran disk utility and errors came up.

i tried plugging it on my pc, it can be detected but isn't showing up on the disk list (via my computer) as well.

10. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

Hmmm... well it won't be detectable on windows, because in the way Mac drives are formatted. (Under Disk Utility, to make a HD readable by windows you have to select something in the PARTITION TAB -> OPTIONS -> Master Boot Record to allow it to be readable by Windows.)

My suggestion: bring the USB-IDE to PowerMac, and see if your drive works there ;)

I'm sure a tech can help you solve your problem :D

#10 NoisyCricket, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  11. RC

RC Active Member

So much needed information has been answered...

You might want to downgrade your OS to the original, then from there back up your external drive...

...From there if the drive still is not detected once you've reinstalled SL then have it installed by the PC then just reformat from that...

Otherwise if it still can't be detected bring the "external assembly" to your computer store of choice then see if the drive is still working from their setup... if they can't detect it, your drive might have been "trashed" due to many "unknown" events i.e. static, humidity, luck etc....

12. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

zoldhic's suggestion helped me fix it! thanks guys!

mods/admin kindly close the thread. thank you again.