Help, restore dvd/s broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by soulspain013, Oct 16, 2009.

1. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

help! my restore dvd/s were broken! what will i do? can apple replace it? :(

2. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure if those discs are covered under warranty. Is your Mac still under warranty? Also, how are they broken? Is there physical damage to the disc/s?

3. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i have a limited warranty, it will expired this november. my disc/s has been cut into half! i found it just yesterday! maybe someone on our house has accidentally break it! poor me. :(

my problem is, how can i reinstall my leopard in the future if ever problem occur. do apple replaced it? because as far as i know, the disc/s bundled with mac are exclusively for that specific mac.

i have 15" mbp late 2008. your inputs are greatly appreciated.. :((

4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It might be a little harder to get it replaced for free because the disc is broken in half. Where did you buy your MBP? You can try going to them and see if they have any suggestions. Worse come to worst, you can always buy Snow Leopard :)

5. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ok thanks! it was bought abroad.. i bought it from my cousin from japan who was the 1st owner. can my mbp's warranty honored here even though it was bought abroad? i'm just a new user of mac for 2months and i am grateful, happy and satisfied to own a mac!

6. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Apple Warrantees for all products except the iPhone are honored worldwide. Simply go to any Authorized Apple Service Center and you can have Warrantee work done.

But whether "restore discs broken in half" falls under warrantee coverage is up to the AASC to decide. What happened? Did something fall on them or did a younger relative use them as frisbees?

7. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ah what a relief! i thought i need to ask my cousin who is abroad now. so they are honored. don't know what happened.i stored them kasi on a book. wala naman kasi box/hard case yun. my fault. forgot that i temporarily put it there a month ago rather than buying a case for only a cheap price. i usually put disc/s on a thick book if ever there were no case, i believe back then that it will take care my disc/s but it turned out negatively. there you go, it did break into half. i'll just ask nalang apple center here locally if they can replaced it or not. :(

i saw on the apple site snow leopard. if i bought 1 for my mac, do i still need leopard?i mean, because i doesn't have my bundled disc/s, if i installed it on my mac, will it still require the leopard? or it is the same like windows that it doesn't need former windows.

8. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

you can install snow leopard at will, with or without leopard

9. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

However you won't get the bundled applications that were on the Restore Discs on any copy of Leopard, (e.g. iLife, etc).

10. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@chetiboy

so that shed a relief if ever i can't have again my bundled disc/s, i'll rather purchase snow leopard. i learned my lesson, not to put disc/s on books, especially to use it as storage.

@rafaelc378

it's ok if only iLife would be affected, anyways i don't use them. i'm concerned of the "etc." you've mention. so there other software included with that disc/s. are they also important? if there is any other? i also read a thread here that bundled disc/s are hardware specific, but they do mention that you can use other bundled disc/s of other owners with same specs with mine have.so, the alternative way in case apple do not replaced them, find a person who has same specs that of my mbp and borrowed it or if not, just make a copy of it. if do this, i'm a doing piracy or counterfeiting and eventually will affect my mbp if installed it and update the software? now i seeing a hard time because of my careless acts! poor me! :(

but anyways, thanks people! i'm grateful to found this forum! the people here are so polite and helpful in giving suggestions and advice! thanks!

#10 soulspain013, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

If you don't buy the disks, technically yes, you're violating the Licensing Agreement.

I'm not sure about the etc, I know that I've never used the disks for a full restore. I've just used them to add to the iLife Software (iDVD themes), to boot from to Verify/Repair permissions, and to activate the EMI Firmware password.

Did you put them in a softcover book? Is that how they snapped?

12. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

I read on U.S. forums many times that Apple will send you a new set for your Mac if you call them. Most of the time for a small fee. Call Apple up and I am sure they will help you out. Just tell them your original set got damaged and is it possible to get a new one.

13. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

so yun nga. Licensing Agreement baka nga pati EULA.

ok. kung iLife lang naman important dun, i just purchase nalang iLife if ever i need it.

yup! softcover book. siguro it snapped when people here at our house do household cleaning. badtrip talaga. i want to blame the person who broke it, but i think its my responsibility and my fault in the first place to stored it in a book. the book is thick, about 2-3". maybe when they transfer things, they accidentally dropped the book or otherwise put it on a manner which put pressure on top on it. these are my speculations, but other than that, it is my first time to experienced it. dalawa pa naman din! so i'm really frustrated! its ok kung yung application disc lang, but the leopard installer is affected!

maybe i'll buy nalang snow leopard. so in case magfailed or something else happened like kernel error, etc.

i read the features of the macbook pro family. it talks about the battery life which it at least, it will have 7 hours of battery life. is this true? why mbp takes approximately 3 hours of usage on battery life. i'm using the 9400 graphics which promises 7 hours but on me, i only consumes 3 hours. is battery cycle a big factor on battery life? my cycle is closing to 300. should it be the reason of less battery life? or the late 2008 really do not meet the promise battery life the way it should be? also, i observed odd changes on my battery. when it is full charge, then unplugged it, it measures 5hours, but after 2-3mins, when i checked the status, it only measures 3.15 hours. is my battery busted? should i buy new battery or is this a defect? sorry for asking too much to you guys, but i'm a new mac user and just checking if my choice to purchase mac is really the best choice. thanks again! i've learned at lot from mac!

14. g_ed

g_ed Member

Call up Apple Care. They can send you a set of the restore disc for your Mac. You're going to need your Mac serial number.

Last time a friend asked for one, it was $30.

#14 g_ed, Oct 17, 2009
  15. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@csc2ky

really? they do replace? is there a charge? is this applicable only on US or i should made a call directly on US or call local apple resellers?

thanks! i see a light on my problem!

16. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@g_ed

so you mean that i must call directly apple care US? how about if i brought this problem to local apple resellers like digital hub and they will be the one assist me? but have apple care yet.

#16 soulspain013, Oct 17, 2009
  17. g_ed

g_ed Member

I don't know about local resellers. It always worth a try.

The 800 number for AppleCare US is 1-800-APL CARE (275-2273). They are open Monday to Friday, 6am-6pm, Pacific Standard Time.

18. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ok thanks for the information. i should worth a try.

thanks again!

19. mrlnmrtnz

mrlnmrtnz Member

Interesting. We know that purchasing Snow leopard install disc will be a good workaround.
    But what's the legit fix? Can we ask for a replacement restore discs? Can we ask local Apple Service Centers for a replacement? Less hassle in the future.

Keep us posted for future reference. Thanks.

20. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

it would be less hassle at good way that local apple service centers honor replacement of the said restored/bundled disk then pay the shipping cost to them as they will be the ones who will ordered it for us.