Help! Re: Video Editing

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by kyubi, Jun 1, 2018.

1. kyubi

kyubi Member

Hi there. I need help in identifying the ideal specs for a pc (Yes, yes i know... we cant afford macs...yet ;) ) to be used by a graphic artist. His job involves using Adobe CC apps for graphics-intensive layouts and video editing projects. I hope you can suggest the ideal computer specs (preferably within the mid-price range).

Thanks.

Mods: If theres anything wrong with this posting pls. let me know, thanks :)

2. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

It's better if you set a specific price range (ex. 100k-150k). As some people might have a different take on what is a mid price range. Also is it just for a cpu or for a complete set (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc)?

kyubi likes this.
  3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's best to get that info straight from Adobe. Also, Adobe CC is a suite of products and each requires varying amounts of computing and graphics performance.

However, I believe that the rule of thumb is, if you already have a system that can support Adobe Premiere Pro, it should be able to handle all other Adobe products.with relative ease.

Premiere Pro
    After Effects
    Photoshop

kyubi likes this.
  4. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

this isn't coming from personal experience, but in theory an entry-level quad core cpu (i5) and a low/mid-level graphics card (Nvidia 1050ti? 1060?) should be able to handle basic video editing needs. also shove in lots of RAM, 16gb should be the minimum.

kyubi likes this.
  5. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

kyubi likes this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Though not a pro editor, I have worked with both Apple software (FCP X and Motion) and Adobe CC, mostly After Effects (AE), for commercial projects (aired on TV).

IMO, Adobe is SLOOOOOOOW! If it weren't, Adobe Flash would still rule web animation. In my experience, on the same machine, Motion beats AE in terms of learning curve (easier to learn) and processing/rendering speed (faster). I only use AE if I do not have a choice; if the client's files are AE, or the most suitable VFX template I can find is in AE. Otherwise, I'd avoid Adobe video editing products altogether.

That may not answer your "PC only" question, so think of it this way: If time is money, a PC may not necessarily be cheaper, because you'll be stuck with Adobe software that will be slow (learning, workflow, rendering, etc.), thereby costing more (time=money). And it will also cost you more in terms of licensing (monthly or annual rate). Final Cut Pro X is $199 for life! Motion 5 is cheaper too than an After Effects subscription.

Most PC owners can only see the cheapness of the PC price tag. They are clueless about TCO (total cost of ownership), which includes the cost of dealing with less reliable hardware, hardware/software incompatibilities, virus/security problems, and slavery that is Adobe CC.

Yeah, I pay more for Apple, but what's the price of peace of mind?

If time is money, I pay more to save time!

But hey, if you've got plenty of time, PC is a great time-waster. Ask all the gamers (like my son). :D

greta87, Qin Zhi and kyubi like this.
  7. kyubi

kyubi Member

Thanks for the inputs and suggestions guys. Really appreciate it. If it were up to me, MAC ftw! :) B U T in the real world whoever has the money has the final say, aaaaand as most of us know Companies will save as much as they can hehehe. I really feel you guys :(

Anyway, will try to get the cost of our last upgrade to give you an idea on how much the company is willing to spend. The last upgrade is more than 5 years ago. Hahaha i know i know. I just work there. :)

One more thing, as we all know this multimedia files tend to eat up large HD spaces, how do you guys manage it? Back up every once in while? External HDs? Size?

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For my backups, I use three: internal, external, and the cloud. For treasure files (like family pics), I back up on all three.

For external, I use a SATA docking station, like this (different brand):

[​IMG]

Mine is Firewire, but you can get them in "PC interfaces" too.

I have different SATA drives (personal, work, etc.) and just swap as needed.

So I use SSD (fastest) for most recently used files, internal HD for immediate backup, external HD for archiving, and cloud as access-anywhere backup.

kyubi likes this.
  9. kyubi

kyubi Member

Hi guys, just submitted the specs. Went for the Budget set-up posted on Leeger's link (thank you so much, real time saver ;) and sir rbenzon thanks for the suggestions. Also thanks to oj88 and mokmoki. Really appreciate the tips.

Hopefully it gets approved :) crossing all my fingers! :)

rbenzon likes this.
  10. drigal

drigal Member

OT: Good days muggers!

Just kindly want to ask if what is the right format when exporting movies using adobe premiere for facebook? Thanks!