Help: New WD Ext HDD detected by iBook but not Powerbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by berniedd, Oct 31, 2009.

1. berniedd

berniedd Member

New external hard drive (320 GB, My Passport model) came formatted in FAT32. My 800 MHz iBook running Tiger (10.4) detects it well, but a newer Powerbook 1.5 GHz running Leopard cannot. Both are rated USB 2.0. What gives?

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

the usb of the your powerbook is under-powered. try to connect into another usb port or use the usb Y cable:

[​IMG]

3. beckham07

beckham07 Member

I agree. Nice visuals.

4. berniedd

berniedd Member

Huh? You'd think the newer Powerbook would have better specs for its USB ports than the older iBook... go figure. It's named Powerbook but actually has less, uhh, power.

BTW I tried it in a friend's iBook G4 1.33 MHz running Tiger (10.4.11) and it's also not detected !!!

#4 berniedd, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, some of the USB ports of the older portables (not just Apple but other brands as well) have only one USB port that has enough power to run a portable HD. Have you tried plugging the external in the other USB ports of your Powerbook? Switch your usb plugs around and see if it works. :)

6. berniedd

berniedd Member

Yes, I've tried all the USB ports. None are up to par in the Powerbook.

7. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Have you tried using a different cable? Had a similar problem a few weeks back. Problem went away with a different USB cable.

8. berniedd

berniedd Member

Not yet tried a new cable, since my iBook 800 MHz and a Dell Vista machine detected it well. I'm now looking for a USB Y-cable.

9. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

If you know anyone who owns the old SmartBro modem kit, the one with the flat ZTE modem, you might want to ask them. The kit came with a straight USB cable and a Y-Cable as well.

10. berniedd

berniedd Member

Does anyone here have such a cable for sale?