Help Needed!!!! LF right fan for Macbook Pro or place to buy one

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by -d-stig-, Dec 12, 2009.

1. -d-stig-

-d-stig- Member

The right fan on my Macbook Pro recently started making an intermittent grinding noise and after a day iStat is showing 0 rpm for the right fan.
    Im not sure if the fan can still be saved by cleaning and lube, and i have yet to open my MBP and clean it.
    I wanna know if you guys know of a place where i can buy the fan or where they stock MBP spare parts where i can possibly source a replacement fan.
    Also if anybody is selling a defective MBP for parts, Id like first dibs at the right fan
    Thank you guys

2. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

what model sir, unibody or aluminum? is your unit still under warranty? try to clean it first.

3. -d-stig-

-d-stig- Member

its a Macbook Pro Aluminum-pre-unibody
    its out of warranty which got me decided on opening it and cleaning it myself
    not the first time i did it tho
    i aredy replaced my hdd with a bigger capacity one myself

4. -d-stig-

-d-stig- Member

Anybody saw a MBP fan aredy, im not familiar with the assembly
    but pc fans have an armature and excess rubbing can burn them down
    i dont know how the MBP fans are, but i hope mine hasnt burned down yet.
    i saw some MBP fan dis assembly pics on the net
    the armature looks like its separate from the impeller, but im not sure
    so if anybody got info, it will be appreciated

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

PM mark_17. He deals with Mac parts and does repairs too.

6. -d-stig-

-d-stig- Member

Thanks for the replies.
    After getting a t6 torx screw driver, a spudger and a #0 phillips (i used to have those but forgot where i put them), i opened my MBP. The fan chassis' would not come out even after taking out the 3 torx screws each, so i took the #0 phillips to the screws fixing the fan to the fan chassis.
    The fans came out easy leaving the fan chassis still fixed to the MBP logic board.
    I then pulled the fan blades out of the armature, cleaned em and put a drop of wd40 into the armature bearing. i also cleaned the part of the heatsink that the fans blew into. Lots of dirt, grime and carbon dust later, my two fans are doing the synchronized spinning again.

I swear, even after doing it before, the MBP is a PITA to open.

#6 -d-stig-, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

one solution: cleaning :)