Help: my Macbook's eats a lot of memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by just bry, Feb 11, 2010.

1. just bry

just bry Member

i just restarted my mb and opened a single application: safari, with only 3 tabs open: facebook, youtube(homepage only, no videos buffering), and philmug this what happened to my memory

[​IMG]

i have 2.5gb of ram in total but the remaining free ram goes down to 384mb after opening a single application. Is there something wrong with my mac?

2. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

That's normal. On my MBP I have 3.2 GB used out of 4 GB. I'm just running iTunes, Firefox, Vuze and NetNewsWire.

The reality is that only a small part of the used RAM is actually consumed by the OS and applications. Some RAM is used to cache applications so that they launch quickly the second time around. RAM is not flushed out of their contents until truly necessary for another application. Sometimes the OS just overallocates in case an application needs more RAM (which means the OS doesn't need to look around for free RAM everytime an application needs it).

Don't worry about the memory management of Mac OS X. It's actually quite efficient.

If you still think there's a problem, show us a screenshot of your Activity Monitor with your processes.

3. raze94

raze94 Member

can you please post a screenshot of your activity monitor? i dont think its normal.

4. just bry

just bry Member

here's the screenshot of my activity monitor

[​IMG]

i find it weird, i left my mac open because I'm downloading something and now my free ram went up to 814mb.
    Two applications open: safari (7 tabs no flash-based sites) and itunes.

edit:

now it's 881mb

@kyapjoco

so safari might be the culprit? should I empty its cache?

#4 just bry, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. raze94

raze94 Member

you do have a lot of programs running. one way to minimize is to close dashboard after using it. you dont really need that running all the time. install dash quit so after you check your dashboard you can kill the process. another way to minimize memory usage is after surfing for a while quit safari and restart it. other than that you shouldnt worry too much about it as long as you dont get the spinning beach ball too often.

6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i'm running safari, MS Word, ical, mail, itunes & dashboard and my usage is only 1GB. so I'm not sure about that being normal. although in your screen shot, there seems to be a long list of apps running at the same time. try to find out w/c one/s is/are using up 1GB of your RAM

7. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

@just bry It could be Safari. But to me, I have 30+ tabs in Firefox and it consumes 330+ MB of RAM. So Safari is most likely not the culprit.

I looked at my Activity Monitor and your OS processes consume just about the same RAM as my OS processes. It's normal. :)

8. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Nah dont worry bout that. Let OSX manage your memory and try not to be compulsive about it. Not unless you experience a significant slowdown in your machine.