HELP! my Fn key just popped out!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by enuhski, Jul 12, 2009.

1. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

I'm using a macbook aluminum, and just now I noticed that the Fn key seemed a little loose. After checking it, it seems the top part of the key can't be put back into place. Two tiny crystal pieces also seemed to have gotten loose.

I haven't done anything to the keyboard prior to this horrible incident. My macbook is 5 months old.

Has anyone experienced this?

HELP please!!!

#1 enuhski, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

you still have applecare right? just bring it to an apple service center to get it fixed. :)

3. mig

mig Active Member

Which crystal pieces? Look on youtube for videos on how to clean your keys. Most of them pop it out, clean them, then pop it back in. I'm sure you can easily pop the key back in once you know how.

4. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

#4 pilgrim28, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

i checked out the video on youtube. i tried the procedure there, but it didn't work! :(

shoot. if i take it to a service center, how long would it take for them to fix it? :(

6. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

i went to digital hub ermita today (also where i bought my macbook) and asked the tech guy to take a look at it. according to him, it's almost impossible that the Fn key popped out by itself. the tiny crystal pieces glued to the back of the key somehow fell off - i really don't know how, and that's why the key can't and won't just "click" into place.

according to him, if i have it serviced under warranty, they might interpret the problem to be "accidental damage" and might not service it under warranty, plus charge the technician, too. that's what he said, is it true? :O

i didn't do anything to it, whether intentionally or accidentally :(

anyway, i was referred to digital hub's greenhills branch. medyo malayo eh. so when i got home, i called up my suki service center, ynzal, and they were a bit more optimistic about the problem.

and going back to this thread, i'm glad ifix also posted here. thank you so much :)

meanwhile, i'll bring the unit to ynzal and see if they can help me. ynzal is closer to where i live kasi. now if it still doesn't work, then i'll have to make the rounds of other service centers. :/

#6 enuhski, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  7. RC

RC Active Member

@enushki
    as most of people like myself can only "imagine" as to what happened to your keyboard...

i for one would assume that someone from your household "manhandled" your apple... that or maybe a rat or mouse mistook it for a leisure toy...

anyway from your post i would say that the technician was only trying to cover his own @$$ and didn't want to take the machine in and later tell you that it wasn't included in the warranty...

the other store however i would assume would also like to see the unit first before making any unneccessary guess-work...

Anyway hope you get ypur machine in tip top order soon!

8. ifix

ifix New Member

You're welcome enushki.

Actually, the service personnel from Digital Hub was right, even if your unit is still under warranty and they have the keyboard serviced, Apple might not honor it as a valid warranty repair (since the replacement is shipped to the service shop first before the defective part gets shipped back to Apple) and in turn Apple will charge the service provider which consequently is billed to the end-user.

What you can also do is call the hotline at 1-800-10-8887256 and state your case. If you play your cards right, you may still be able to have your keyboard repaired free-of-charge :) good luck.

9. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

hi guys!

i just came back from ynzal, and had good ol' kuya nomer look at the key. they suggested that since the buttons aren't sold or shipped separately (in this case, the fn key), i can opt to leave my macbook there and they'll facilitate the warranty and have the top case (i hope i got this right) removed.

i'm still thinking about it because i'm highly reliant on my laptop and a week away from it will be really hard for me.

meanwhile i'll explore other options...

thanks ifix for the clarification! :)

RC, there are no rats or any manhandlers in my household. :( is it possible that maybe it wasn't put in place properly to begin with? the rest of my keyboard is fine eh. :(

10. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

OT lang: When I read your title, I thought you were cussing. You know like "I lost my F'n keys" hehe Sorry just had to post it. On with regular programming :)

11. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Ynzal can still do warranty service work? I thought they lost their ability to do that.

Either way, glad to hear you're finding help with this.

12. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

@ Netskipper - LOL!!! i did cuss on my fbook status when it happened tho. hehehe

@ rafaelc378 - yikes. i didn't know. i thought they just lost their status as a reseller, and assumed they could still do warranty service work (i thought the two were separate). uh-oh. will i get them into trouble for this? please feel free to delete my posts that might be inappropriate or misleading re: ynzal. thank you! :)

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Honestly I thought the two went hand in hand. I maybe wrong though.

14. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

#14 enuhski, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  15. Lakbay888

Lakbay888 Active Member

I think ynzal can facilitate warranty thru authorized apple service centers. this happened to my replacement battery for my MBP. picked it up in a small apple service center along shaw boulevard. didnt even know there was an apple store there if it wasnt for that incident.

With regards to the function key i had a similar experience this time with my right function key.. it just fell off and when julius of digital walker Vmall had a hard time replacing it we opted for a keyboard replacement. did not have difficulty naman.

16. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

re: ynzal - whew! that's a relief :)

how long did you have to wait for the replacement keyboard?

17. kalbs

kalbs Member

send it to other Service Centers. They can evaluate the condition of your keys or they can take some pictures and send it to Apple for their evaluation. You don't have to leave your unit pending Apple's approval. :)

18. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

thanks! :)

19. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Last week, I brought my unit to the Power Mac SM North Annex branch, where they took photos of the defective key and sent to Apple. A week passed, still no word. I was about to call the Annex branch when I received a text message from their San Juan service center informing me that they have my top case ready for me.

I just came back from San Juan, where my top case was replaced. They told me that I was fortunate that Apple replaced the entire top case, instead of just the Fn key. Actually, they were surprised the request was approved in the first place, since normally the popped key would seem like something that a user may be at fault for causing. I explained - again! - that I really had nothing to do with it!

The top case is nice and new. I just realized how dirty mine has become! I feel terrible for Apple though, they'll be stuck with a top case with greasy keys all because of one popped Fn key.

Anyone who experiences the same thing, here are some things I learned:

1. I didn't need to leave my unit as the PMC staff took pictures of the defective key. They also attested that there were no scratches near the defective key, thus couldn't have been user-inflicted.
    2. One popped Fn key = new top case
    3. Get Apple Care ASAP!

Happy my Macbook has been given a new lease on life, sort of. Now I'm going to move on to my defective creaky hinge! :p

#19 enuhski, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  20. joy08

joy08 Member

Wow! Good to hear that your top case got replaced by powermac.. Hope powermac continue to improve their service.