HELP: MBP dies after sometime when not plugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by FlyLO, Mar 17, 2009.

1. FlyLO

FlyLO Member

Hey Guys,

Hoping you could help me with my current problem. I've been looking around and I'm not really that tech savvy so I don't know where to search or what to look for. Recently I've had this problem with my MBP, which I purchased last year (april) a 2.5ghz MBP with a 250gb hd.
    When I unplug it and use it, it would often shut off for no apparent reason. There are no Low Batt warnings and even with more than an hour left on the charge. Though rare, it would even shut itself while its asleep. :(
    When its plugged its perfectly fine, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop. :p

This is quite disturbing and I really want to fix it asap. A visit to the apple center is a last resort since these coming days are quite heavy with a lot of school work and projects that I need my mac for.
    Any help would be deeply appreciated and if this has already been covered before, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much! :)

2. boggs

boggs Member

There's probably something wrong with your battery. Just have it checked out in the nearest Apple store, have it diagnosed, and probably ask for a replacement battery! I'm sure you'll be able to do your work even if your Mac is tied to a charger! :D Keep it plugged for the meantime, you have no choice anyway. :p

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with Boggs, it might be a battery problem.

If you bought it last April then it is still within Apple's one year warranty right? I'm pretty sure you paid a lot for your portable so I suggest you make the most out of your warranty and take it to a Apple service center ASAP. :)

4. FlyLO

FlyLO Member

Thank you very much Boggs! :) Ill visit the app store later this week. Btw, slightly off topic I'm not that comfortable with PowerMac would you recommend another place to have my MBP checked? :slanted:

Thank you again! :rolleyes:

5. FlyLO

FlyLO Member

Thanks Salaryman Ryan! :rolleyes:
    Yes I purchased it last april. apple site says "Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on 17 April 2009." :D