HELP! MBP could not be restarted!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by spokhaki, Mar 5, 2009.

1. spokhaki

spokhaki New Member

My MBP Santa Rosa December 2007 could not restart!

Only a dim sleep light and keyboard light can be seen!

Screen is dead.

Anybody experienced this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. pokerface

pokerface New Member

how about hard reset? or take out battery , then put it back on?

3. Abet Arcenas

Abet Arcenas Member

Spokhaki's my son.
    Tried the hard reset, remove the battery and pressed the start button. I heard the chime for the restart but with no apple logo coming out of the screen. The screen stayed black. After a while - 10 seconds, keyboard lights up ( i can control the brightness of the keyboard) and the sleep light stays on (a bit dim). Is this the dreaded death of the nvidia video card? Will be bring my mbp to the apple repair center later. Any suggestions?

4. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

Suggest you check if it can connect to an external monitor. If it works, backup your data before bringing it in for diagnosis.

If it works with an external monitor then it's the screen that has the problem. If it still doesn't work then it's your video card and maybe ultimately your logic board.:(

5. farfall

farfall Member

i've experienced that too. i brought my MBP to the service center and they diagnosed it as part of the nvidia recall.

6. mig

mig Active Member

sounds like GPU failure.

7. Abet Arcenas

Abet Arcenas Member

Apple service confirmed that it is part of the nvidia recall and will change the logic board. Question: Will it happen again if they replace the logic board with the same specs?

8. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Well, ideally, it shouldn't happen again. But as far as the lifespan/reliability of gadgets are concerned, there will always be that element of "luck". Some folks use their Macs for years without having to visit a service center while some find themselves in a service center within weeks.

9. serge

serge New Member

10. lovegrocery

lovegrocery Member

happened to me 30 mins ago!! :( please update us! can't see anything from my macbook pro 2.2 (tiger) wow sabay sabay ah.

11. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

^ bring it to Digital Walker. I got mine fixed.. Mga 2 weeks nawala ang MBP ko so bumili na rin ako ng Unibody MBP.

12. Abet Arcenas

Abet Arcenas Member

Apple service provider changed the logic board due to nvidia gpu failure. Just got my MBP yesterday and its now runs hotter than before. I hope this does not fail again. The ASP placed a new logic board and reinstalled the current serial number.

13. djsaplut

djsaplut Member

it happened to me too. still waiting for senco repair guys..

crap. does this mean i have to pay for that hardware (nvidia) coz i dont have apple care na. ;(

14. lovegrocery

lovegrocery Member

@djsaplut found a link from apple.com na free daw kahit wala ng warranty basta nvidia problem. :)

15. lovegrocery

lovegrocery Member

@abet how long ni-repair?

16. arelcee

arelcee Active Member

@lovegrocery: Hi. Just a friendly tip. If you need to add something to your post and there no other posts by other users yet, please use the EDIT function. Your replies/questions to Abel and DJ could have been easily combined into one post. The Edit function is available up to 24 hours after the time of the original post. Thanks.

17. djsaplut

djsaplut Member

got mine fixed already!!! yup. i didn't pay anything for it.

18. cookiecravings

cookiecravings New Member

If your MBP has the NVIDIA GeForce 86000M GT graphics card then it's probably the cause of the problem. Apple will replace the logic board for free. One way to confirm if you have this model, you can check the specs in your MBP's box . Go to any authorized Apple reseller and they will accept and forward your MBP to the authorized Apple service center in San Juan.

Apple will repair your MBP by replacing your logic board with a new 8600M GT logic board. I advise that you perform a stress test as soon as you get your repaired MBP to find out asap if you have a lemon or not. You'll have 90 days from the day your MBP was returned to you to confirm if it's a good board.

Take note that Apple is replacing your defective board with the same model so the probability of it FAILING AGAIN is high. I can't emphasize enough how important it is that you do a stress test right away.

I had the same problem with my MBP and went through 4 replacements in the space of 8 months between October 2008 to May 2009. The recurring problem was escalated to Apple Asia Pacific and I was eventually given a new MBP as a permanent solution to the problem.

Personally, I think Apple should do a recall on all MBP's with the defective board and replace it with a new MBP that has a different logic board model entirely. Replacing just the logic board with the same defective model won't give you a permanent solution in the long run.

Really hope you guys get a permanent fix too. :)

19. wlvn

wlvn Member

^
    Forgive me of my ignorance but how do you exactly do a stresst test?

20. aaron

aaron Member

^ Interested in this one also since i also have the same mbp from the problematic batch. The fuzzy video screen only happened to me once ever since i bought the unit last year. After i started using a PWX ball, i no longer encountered the problem. Was wondering if I could somehow re-create the problem so that I could have the logic board replaced.