HeLP! iTunes keeps on relaunching! :O

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by teachertwish, Jul 16, 2007.

1. teachertwish

teachertwish Active Member

For some wierd reason, my iTunes keeps on relaunching after around a minute I quit the program. :( Why?! What do I do?! Is my iBook already infected with a virus?! :O

2. elbert

elbert Active Member

I think your iBook may be possessed. We may need some good old fashioned Mac OS eXorcism here. :)

There may be a number of things causing iTunes to launch on its own. I'm willing to bet that if you create a troubleshooting account and log into that, you won't have the same problem. Rather than try to figure out what is causing the iTunes misbehavior, I recommend you try doing an AppleJack. When you're done, post here and let us know the results.

Don't worry, wala pang virus ang Mac. We'll find a way to fix that.

3. teachertwish

Thanks elbert! I'll let you know how it solves or if it does solve the problem. :)

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Did you update your iTunes and QuickTime recently? Like in the last two days?

5. teachertwish

Hi soloworx. Software Update did prompt me of a new version of iTunes and Quicktime, but have not downloaded it yet since I can't download dmg files in the office. I'll have to do that on our office Linux computer. :p Thanks, solo!

6. quietcynic

quietcynic Member

Do you use Salling Clicker? I know that when I have the iTunes remote open, iTunes will relaunch itself (actually Salling Clicker launches iTunes) on exiting.

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

The reason I asked is that I've read a few gripes about the new updates (iTunes, QuickTime) especially with QuickTime where you'll have to buy a new license for the Pro version of 7.2. Also, the new QT has done a lot of messy things as well to some of those who have updated. I got the info from my MacFixit RSS.

Since iTunes is closely interknit with QuickTime, I was thinking that QT might have been the culprit for your iTunes woes.

8. teachertwish

Yup I do, but I don't use it anymore. In fact, it's already disabled. :(

9. teachertwish

I have iTunes 7.3 (54) which I think I installed as soon as it prompted me that it came out. But I never had problems of relaunching since I installed it until last weekend. Then come Monday (which was yesterday) there is an iTunes update available.

I have not installed the newer version yet since I can't download dmg files here in the office. I haven't had the time to do it at home. Pooped!

@elbert - I tried downloading applejack but my iBook could not open the dmg file. :( It's "unrecognizable." :O

10. teachertwish

Finally, I got to download the right applejack and updated my iTunes. My iTunes is not anymore re-launching on its own. Yay! Thanks for all your help.

OT: Glad you made me discover AppleJack. It freed me 1.7GB more. :)

Thanks guys!!! :)

11. jayceesol

jayceesol Guest

hi, got the same problem. where did you get applejack? is this a freeware? i'm encountering the same problem.

12. teachertwish

@jayceesol

I think I did two things to solve the problem. I just don't know which one -- or if it's both actions -- that solved it. 1) I updated my iTunes and 2) I used applejack. I think you can get applejack from sourceforge.net, or simply Google it. :) Good luck! I hope you fix (or fixed) your problem. :)