help! How to remove all hidden/unread files? (edited)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by naked chef, Feb 13, 2010.

1. naked chef

naked chef New Member

hey guys...

i just want to know how to remove all hidden/unread files when im saving in my harddrive or usb..

when im saving photos im my hard drive or usb there was a time in photolab theres always a hidden/unread files in my hard drive or usb.....how can i save photos without including unread/hidden files...???

please help..!!

thank you so much!!!

2. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

Re: help!How to remove all hidden/unread files..?

You may use TinkerTool or use Terminal command. But first, you have to be certain of what you are doing, you might accidentally delete system files/folders.

At any rate, here's "how to make hidden files/folders appear" from Terminal command:
    1. Double-click Terminal from the Applications>Utilities folder
    2. Type these at the Terminal prompt
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true
    3. Click Apple Menu>Force Quit (command+option+esc)
    4. Force Quit window appears>choose Finder, click Relaunch, then confirm
    5. From here on, you can now delete your hidden & unwanted files/folders
    6. You have to revert to the previous state of Finder after accomplishing your intentions by typing these at the Terminal prompt
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false
    7. Relaunch Finder
    TinkerTool is much simpler, you have to download it though.

Remember...leave the system files/folder alone. Don't bother tinkering with it.

#2 dryxzzz, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

4. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@naked chef, personally, the hidden files that OS X creates in removable drives (e.g .DS_Store) never really bothered me, but if you want an easy way to get rid of them, you can use Hidden Cleaner.

Also, don't forget that when you delete files on a removable drive, you need to actually empty the Trash WHILE the drive is connected in order to recover the disk space.

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

OS X will always leave hidden files. If you have problems copying folders and files to fat32 usb disk, type dot_clean in Terminal followed by a space. Then drag the folder to be copied into Terminal. Execute that. The folder will be rid of conflicting hidden files.

There is no way to prevent hidden files in OS X. IT is how it manages things. Just delete them when you are on Windows.

6. naked chef

naked chef New Member

thank you so much guys...!!!

dryxzzz,mad mac,patrick gaerlan bless you guys...!!

yahoooo!!!!

7. Matthewpt

Matthewpt New Member

In my case .ds_store keeps on popping on my folders in the Mac HD. Its so irritating. Used ds_store remover from app store, but still comes back after certain time. Pls help me how to remove it for good. Thanks.