Help! How do i reformat My Macbook

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by t3nity, Aug 22, 2009.

1. t3nity

t3nity Member

Hi Guys!

Hope you can help me with my problem. I recently bought a black macbook (second hand). Since the macbook has applications and files already, i want to make a clean install of the OS. To delete everything and start agan from scratch so that my files only will be on my macbook. I have the 2 installation discs with me that came from my mac. How do istart with this guys.. TIA...

Newbie ang po kasi to MAC.

2. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Insert the first DVD, restart, and hold down the C key to boot from the optical drive. Then choose Erase and Install from the options.

3. t3nity

t3nity Member

will all the drivers of the hardware is included in the discs? TIA

4. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

5. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i was looking for an image to help you out
    here you go
    [​IMG]

6. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

if your using the discs that came from your macbook everything should work fine.
    thinking about drivers... well, that's a windows thing. that's why we love mac

7. bhoyetjumpay

you can find tutorial on your macbook

macintosh hd>user guides and information>macbook users guide(pdf file)

8. t3nity

t3nity Member

Thanks guys... Formatting irght now after reading some...

9. t3nity

t3nity Member

Finished installing guys. My only error is my airport. Ayaw nyang magcoonect sa router...

10. bhoyetjumpay

try to update your software, apple released an update on airport utility last august

connect your macbook thru LAN cable for the mean time.

11. t3nity

t3nity Member

Thanks bhoyet. Will update the software po.

12. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Wifi should work even without updates. Review your setup. However, the new Airport Client Update for MacBook improves stability for affected Macs. Fixed my wifi dropouts.

13. t3nity

t3nity Member

wifi is working but most of the time connection timed out. Updating right now including the Leopard 10.5.8

14. t3nity

t3nity Member

I already updated my macbook. When i connect to my internet DSL via wifi, I always get a connection timed out. What could be the prolem???

15. redticket

redticket Member

Check your router. Maybe it needs re-setting.

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Open Preferences>Nework>Airport. What ip address do you get when connected?

17. t3nity

t3nity Member

My problem is my wep key. When i disable the wep on my router, the airport works and i have an internet. But when i input my wep key, even if the wep is correct i got a connection timeout error.

18. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Can other machines connect and surf? Have you replicated their setup? Have you tried your Mac in other hotspots? When you connect without wep, do you get full wifi bars? Can you surf the internet? When you connect with wep, do you get any bar at all? Try all encryption levels. Sorry for too many questions. Just trying to isolate the problem.

Basically we're trying to verify that your home router and internet works. Then we are finding out if your Mac's wifi works. Dropouts with encryptions may be related to signal integrity. This can be router/Mac location or interference.

19. t3nity

t3nity Member

Can other machines connect and surf?
    Yes... My Windows Desktop can connect to my wifi router using using the wep keys

Have you replicated their setup?
    Not yet. Since i did not do anything with it. Its just Plug and play...

Have you tried your Mac in other hotspots?
    Yes... I was in tagaytay over the weekend and i used my macbook therre.

When you connect without wep, do you get full wifi bars?
    Yup... Full Bars..

Can you surf the internet?
    Yes...

When you connect with wep, do you get any bar at all?
    No bars at all. But the airport can find the router...

Try all encryption levels. Sorry for too many questions. Just trying to isolate the problem.

Basically we're trying to verify that your home router and internet works. Then we are finding out if your Mac's wifi works. Dropouts with encryptions may be related to signal integrity. This can be router/Mac location or interference.

Hi Mad Mac!

Thanks in advance.

I answered your questions. I am not really familliar with encryptions. What i just did is that input all the possible wep on the password scree. And i get Connection timeout...

20. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

In the absence of detail I am recommending a blanket approach. This is experimenting with all possible router setup and setting up the Mac accordingly. I recommend changing router Authentication setting from Open to Automatic. If that doesn't work, read on.

Components of a home router:

1) Channel assignment

2) IP distribution

3) Security

For #1, try Automatic channel selection first, then proceed to #2 & 3# options. If none work, try manually assigning a channel for your router transmission.

For # 2, try using DHCP first. Configure your router. Then use default network setup of the mac. Check that it is using DHCP. Then proceed to #3. If that doesn't work, you may need to use fixed IP per machine. Let's tackle this if needed.

For #3, see if the router's authentication is set to Open. If it is, change to Automatic. If that doesn't work, try all encryption options. WEP 40bit, WEP 128 bit, WPA, etc.

For each trial, reset the router and all connected machines to release IPs. We want to avoid IP mixes up as a possible culprit.

#20 Mad Mac, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009