Help for Excel 2004

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by cityslicker, Jun 22, 2007.

1. cityslicker

cityslicker New Member

My excel keeps on crashing! for work, i have to open some computation heavy files and it just keeps on quitting unexpectedly. i have half the mind to just delete and re-install Microsoft Office. Problem is, i dont know what's gonna happen to my entourage (the loss of the files of which will be the death of me). Hope someone could give suggestions on what i should do.

TIA!

2. Gomi

Gomi Active Member

Have you updated to the latest Office service pack? You can get them at Mactopia Downloads. You should also try repairing permissions.

3. cityslicker

cityslicker New Member

hi Gomi! thanks for the advice... no luck though..

4. cityslicker

cityslicker New Member

the spreadsheet that i usually open requires me to enable marcros maybe that means something?

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Don't worry about reinstalling your Office. Your Entourage files are safe under /Documents/Microsoft User Data in your Home folder. Enabling macros won't necessarily mess up your app; I suspect it's a corrupted font (or maybe an MS system font that got "accidentally" deleted?).

6. cityslicker

cityslicker New Member

hi soloworx, thank you so much! so i just delete the microsoft office folder and if and when i re-install it, it automatically reads the database et al?

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yes cityslicker. Before you do that, search Spotlight for MS Office - it may show other plist files (preferences) created when you installed MS Office - you ought to delete those also so you'll have a squeaky clean machine. I really think your problem is caused by corrupted fonts, especially the ones installed and used by MS.

8. cityslicker

cityslicker New Member

thanks soloworx and gomi! :)