Help! Error in installing Disc 2 of OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by burn09, Feb 18, 2010.

1. burn09

burn09 Member

I'm getting an error like "there is an error (no specific error number or message), please install again later" while I'm stalling OS X Tiger to my macbook... Right now, I could not use my macbook because it always ask to insert Disc 2 and every time I insert it I'm getting and error (when it is almost finish in installing Disc 2)...

I do not know where I can get help or what will I do so that i can use my MB.

Background:
    I was trying to upgrade my OS X Tiger to Leopard and I believe I was not able to create a proper image on my hard drive and it cause me a problem. So I got my OS X Tiger installer (Disc 1 and Disc 2) to have fresh install of Tiger but on Disc 2 I'm getting an error.

Any useful and/or technical step by step advice will greatly be appreciated.

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i'm not sure if this is possible with restore discs but this is what i do with retail installers... using disc 1 do a customize installation then remove applications, printer drivers, language translation and additional fonts. if it still asks for the disc 2 or you still can't install os x, contact me at 09167918924. i may be able to help you.

3. burn09

burn09 Member

thanks... i'll try to do it again tonight, have a fresh install and select custom... and if it still doesn't work expect that I'll be bothering you :)... thanks again...

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Be aware that using installers which are older than your Mac can sometimes be problematic. It is for the simple fact that an old software wasn't prepared to handle hardware that did not exist yet. We see this a lot with some Leopard installers.

5. burn09

burn09 Member

My OS X Tiger Installer was bundled with my MacBook when I bought it late 2006 and I was also thinking/considering that my Hard Drive is also part of problematic hard drive that Apple recently recognized. I'll do what mark have suggested tonight after I got home and if I can still salvage it and if not I'll disturb mark ;) (thanks in advance)... and still if it will not work then I have to go to the Authorized Apple Service Provider (and I hope I'll not come to this point because I heard it is expensive and I have just experienced a not so good handling of a prospect customer by one of the Authorized Apple Service Provider)...

6. burn09

burn09 Member

I was able to install my OS again by choosing customized option... currently updating some softwares... thanks for the help guys, specially to mark_17... :D

7. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

no problem! ;)

8. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

hello!
    i am now encountering same problem too. how can i make it work if everytime i open the machine, it always required the disc 2. tried to press and hold C and still not working for me. may i know how you did it? am not really that good with computer, and step by step help is very much appreciated. :D

9. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

insert disc 1, turn on your mac, press and hold down C to force the mac to boot from the optical drive... only disc 1 is bootable.

10. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

thank you! will try it tonight.:)

11. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

Hello Mark_17!!

hope all is well.
    i tried several times what you suggested last night. the 1st disc was installed smoothly but it still had an error when i installed the 2nd disc.
    do i have to buy a new disc or do you have any other suggestions so that my machine will operate well? thanks in advance.

12. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

like i've suggested burn08: using disc 1 do a customize installation then remove (uncheck) applications, printer drivers, language translation and additional fonts. if it still asks for the disc 2 or you still can't install os x, contact me at 09167918924. i may be able to help you.

13. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

noted, sir.
    i will try to uncheck all of those items you mentioned. i only uncheck the the printer driver last night fearing that if i uncheck all of them, it not operate normally. thank you for your kind assistance. :)

14. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

its okay now, sir! thank you very much for the help!! :)

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Did the unchecking do the trick? Why do these cause conflicts? The only reason I could think of is that those files may have been corrupted.

16. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

yes, it does. :)

hello!
    now i do have some problem. i have leopard cds to try and install it on over Tiger, it gets to the language screen, i select English, and then it says 'Leopard cannot be installed on this computer'. may you please help?

17. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The cd may not have been made for your Mac. The retail dvd works for most Macs of its era.

18. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

Hello Mad Mac!

browsed the apple website and it said that i may need to install a FIRMWARE UPDATE.
    do you have any idea how to install it?

Hello Mad MAc,

further to above message, instruction said that
    "Restart your computer from the hard drive and install the latest firmware available for your computer.
    May you please assist? Thank you!

19. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

is your leopard installer disc the retail version or its a restore disc version (originally came with a mac unit)?

20. wengaysev

wengaysev New Member

Hello Mark!

i think am trying to install a leopard restore disc version, 2discs. i just borrowed it from my friend.
    my mac was a late 2006 model with 2-disc tiger cds.