help downgrading from el capitan

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by mitchie23mitch, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mitchie23mitch

Hi everyone im not very good with technology... Here's the dilemma after i install the el capitan in my mac it just start to run drastically slow. I'm trying to figure out how to downgrade my mac book pro without losing my programs, pics and documents save in my macbook pro. I also don't have a prior time machine back up ... any ideas? please help. thank you

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Do you know the specs of your unit? What's the processor, amount of RAM and type of hard drive? Maybe a RAM or SSD upgrade is what you need.

I'm not aware of any method to downgrade to an older OS without reformatting the drive. But with an upgrade to SSD you can clone your original drive so there is no need to reformat and you get to retain you apps and docs.

#2 makintosh, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

There is no way to downgrade your OS now from El Capitan except through OSX Restore to factory, note that you will be losing all your files if you perform this.

4. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

do note however that there are Macs which cannot use an OS version older than El Crapitan.