HELP: Disk Space suddenly almost empty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by wakadus, Nov 26, 2009.

1. wakadus

wakadus New Member

Help guys!

When I let my macbook sleep this morning before leaving for work, i had around 12GBs worth of disk space left. And now all of a sudden I'm down to 12mb!!! :mad:

What happened?

In dire need of help please!:eek:

2. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

You can save gigabytes of disk space and enhance your computer speed by using CleanMyMac.

3. wakadus

wakadus New Member

thank you sir! downloading right now. its just intriguing why all of a sudden the drop in disk space. weird =(

4. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

Are you downloading any videos, check your Downloads folder for large downloads...

5. wakadus

wakadus New Member

nope. nothings being downloaded right now. only 300mb worth of files in the downloads folder.

hmmm... CleanMyMac is asking me for a serial.

6. wakadus

wakadus New Member

thanks for your help! i was able to free up a couple of gigs!

7. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

That's great!
    Cheers wakadus!

8. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Did you empty your trash?

9. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

culprits of sudden loss of diskspace:

iTunes. Do you subscribe to podcasts? If you don't set them to delete when you've watched them, they accumulate. Do you have iTunes set to automatically copy songs into your iTunes folder? When you double-click a song, even if it's in your computer already, iTunes makes another copy of it IN your iTunes folder causing wasted space.

iPhoto. Have you been editing your photos? iPhoto keeps a copy of the original photos AND the edited ones. Empty your trash IN iPhoto from time to time.

Multiple Users. Do you share your Mac with anyone else? Even if they're logged into another account they can still FILL UP your drive with their files.

Drop Box. Do you have file sharing turned on? If so, other users on your network might have dropped files into your Public Folder Drop Box.

Torrents. Some torrent clients don't use the default Downloads folder to store the downloaded files. Check your Torrent download folder and see if it's taking up too much space for you.

Hope this helps.

10. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

try downloading Grand Perspective. It will show you a "grand perspective" of the contents of your hard drive so you can see what's eating up your space

11. pepspeps

pepspeps PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Try Onyx. It's like CCleaner for pc and it's FREE.