Help! Coins inside my Macbook!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by dbltzr, Feb 9, 2010.

1. dbltzr

dbltzr Member

I was lifting my Macbook White when I suddenly felt there was something moving inside. It sounded as if there were loose parts inside my laptop. Just then my 4 year old son blurted out "..lots of coins, daddy?" then smiled. Confronted him and true enough, he put coins through the DVD drive slot! Well my mac surely doesn't look like a piggy bank!!!:mad:

Anyway, no problems encountered yet but any thoughts on how I could get all the coins out? My mac is still under warranty. Do you guys think that this is still covered? Would appreciate all of your inputs. TIA!

2. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Lol, sorry couldnt help it. Happened to me also but my then 2 yr old daughter kept on inserting several CDs on top of each other and closed the dvd tray - Acer Notebook.

If i were you, id take it to Digital Hub and have the tech check it out.

3. fliptrix27

fliptrix27 Member

hahaha! make me laugh also as shaft suggest bring it to digital hub to have it check.

4. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Those coins could be damaging your optical drive now, especially when they move about. Metal on metal or metal on lens is not a good thing, not to mention the fact that coins are dirty. Bring your unit to an Apple service center, have them remove the coins and ask them to check if any damage was done.

And next time, ask your son (and any other kid) to stay away from your notebook. ;)

5. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Oh Yeah, hahaha my bad. Thanks for pointing that out fliptrix27. Yup best bet is to heed the advise of johannes since your unit is under warranty.

Try not to prolong the condition.

6. quasar

quasar Active Member

@dbltzr: You have no choice but to bring your Macbook to an authorized Apple service center. Digital Hub is a good choice. Unfortunately, I don't think the repair/replacement will be covered by warranty since the problem is due to misuse.

7. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

Ur son is so cute. Hope it goes well for u. I'll watch out for my nephew!

8. nre

nre Member

haha thanks for sharing the story! I could only hope the value of the coins inserted would be enough to cover the costs of the repair.

9. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

Finally, the lack of an optical media drive becomes an advantage of the Air. Hehe.

dbltzr: I hope everything works out ok. Try not to shake it, that might damage something.

10. Nicky

Nicky Member

When I was 4 years old, I remember inserting the supplied AA batteries into our new VHS player's slot like it was the most natural thing to do. Anyway, dbltzr, hope you didn't give your son a hard time. :)

11. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

minor suggestion: gift your son a piggybank. He's on the right track to financial freedom.

12. cyberathlete

cyberathlete PhilMUG Addict Member

my 2yr old son did something similar. he inserted coins in an acer netbook via the sd card slot. had to open up the netbook and remove the coins. no apparent damage naman on the netbook. but yeah getting those coins out asap is top priority.

13. McGrill

McGrill Member

dbltr: that's sad. void warranty or not, the guys at the apple service center are the right guys to get the coin out. kaysa mas lalong masira if you yourself take it out.

just go easy on your son, for he still does not know fully what he is doing.

14. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

It happened to my first Mac, a white MB. I found out that my girls had been putting coins when I wasn't looking. I managed to get it out but a few months after the incident, my dvd drive got busted. Hope you get those coins out soon!

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Coins could short out circuits. Stop using the Mac and bring to a service center. I would also child proof your electrical sockets. He might stick a fork in that one if he is forbidden to put coins in the expensive piggy bank.

As for the coin problem, without coins, he has nothing to insert. Keep money away from him.

16. dbltzr

dbltzr Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! Unfortunately for my macbook, I'll be able bring it to the apple service center still by the weekend. Hopefully nothing's damaged.

17. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i doubt that coins will short-circuit the optical drive, it will jam and may damage the gears...

18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Insert a 20 peso bill into the optical drive slot.

Then ask for change.

Hopefully the Macbook will spit out the coins. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist! :) But thanks for the warning, I have two small kids, and one of them is a 4 year old too, and it sounds like the type of thing they would do too.

19. besprenbrian

besprenbrian Member

20. dbltzr

dbltzr Member

Update: 1 peso coin just came out!