help, bootup stuck at apple logo screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by superdroo, Dec 7, 2009.

1. superdroo

superdroo New Member

Hi guys, what seems to be the problem with my macbook?

Whenever i turn it on, it just gets stuck loading at the logo screen. It happened just right when I prompted to restart my mac. :(

2. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Does the screen freeze? Does it ask you to press the power button to restart?

what model is your macbook?

Any changes you made before it happened? upgraded ram? changed HDD? installed any software?

3. RC

RC Active Member

@superdoo
    What is the "logo screen" that you see?

What do you do when it does that?

What was the last thing that you did before this started happening?

What prompted you to restart your mac? was it a software update? installed new hardware/software?

4. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Probably a hard drive upgrade could be the culprit. If not, try resetting SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

or you cab try this:

⌘ S Start up in Single-User mode (command line)

when in command line, type in:

rm -rf /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/ApplicationEnhancer.bundle
    then
    reboot

hope this helps.

#4 ijingo, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. IronMan

IronMan Member

Happened to a friend's MacBook.

It was a bad sector on the system area of the hard disk. What i did was use 'HDD Regenerate' to refresh that sector. That application is Windows-based btw.

I reconnected the drive to the MacBook and it worked. Well, that's just my case. It could be another in yours. Have you tried the suggestions above?

6. panis

panis Well-Known Member

You could try to boot on safe mode. If successful, go to utilities-disk utilities- verify disk, repair disk, verify disk permissions, repair disk permissions.

7. superdroo

superdroo New Member

@RC
    The grey screen with the apple logo and spinning thing is where I'm stuck at.

@panis
    I tried to run in safe mode but it didn't boot. I brought it to istudio and they plugged my HD through firewire to check my HD if it was the problem. It was fine and got detected. So they said it might be the OS so I need a re-installation. Problem now is I lost my CD's when we moved to a new home. :(

My question now is, if I buy a snow leopard retail cd, will it be fine in replacing my original installation discs?

8. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Yes, the snow leopard sold at apple retail stores should work fine with your mac. When you upgrade from leopard or clean install with the SL disc it practically serves as your new installation disc. Good luck :)

By the way, just in case it you experience an installation failure try checking your ram.

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I'm guessing ram too. This is because an unreadable boot drive usually results in a folder with question mark icon. The spinning beach ball indicates memory shortage. Dirty ram contacts perhaps.

If it is indeed a corrupt OS X, you must back up your data by starting in Target Disk mode and using another Mac to read it. Then proceed to install OS X. How much of your hard disk have you used?

#9 Mad Mac, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  10. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Doing a clean install will erase all your data. you may wanna bak them up before doing it. Upgrading to Snow would be fine.

11. superdroo

superdroo New Member

Well, I went out and bought a snow leopard retail disc and did a clean install and now it runs fine. I backed up all apps so I still have everything only thing that changed is the OSX. Good thing there was no hardware problem and was just on the OS.:)

12. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Yes! Nice to hear everything worked out fine :D

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Goo to hear superdroo.

14. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

I need help, this just happened on my new mba 13inch. Was watching a video then it got stuck. Waited for 3mins cant do anything so i shut my mba. Now when i turn it on its stuck at the boot up screen and there is a questionmark folder. What do i need to do because im leaving the country tom and i need my mac with me. Please help thanks!!

15. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

if you have lion or mountain lion installed, boot into the recovery partition then run disk utility and perform repair disk permission on your mac os x partition.

16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Hi sir, how do i do this on an mba? No disk drive. I have mountain lion. Downloaded via app store. Thanks

17. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

press and hold down option key then turn on your mba... do not release the option key until you see the mac and recovery partition logo. double-click on the recovery partition.

[​IMG]

18. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Tried this sir, I was brought to Internet recovery no mountain lion had or recovery hd

19. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

It happened to me, at first boot time is 2 hrs then 4 but when it becomes longer I decided to reinstall lion. Download lasted for more than 4 hrs, no files missing and all apps intact and functioned right after the reinstallation

20. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Meaning I have to boot using the Internet recovery? Tried plugging a USB with mountain lion in it but the system won't recognize it. The problem is I have über slow Internet. I'm really desperate. I need to bring my MBA out of the country for work... Help anyone. Tried looking on the net with no avail :( HELP ME PLEASE