Help. audio jack left inside mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by jbbolong, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jbbolong

jbbolong Member

help.. i was using my mbp unibody for our rehearsal and plugged an audio jack (apologies if im using the wrong term). when i unplugged it, the tip of the audio jack broke and is left inside the plug (apparently, the jack of the hotel is of low quality). what should i do? can i do something to fix this? i need my mac on wednesday but i live in the province. so my only recourse is to use another pc. i plan to bring my mac to manila this weekend, question is, will this be covered by applecare? im currently using my mac, is it safe to still use this even with the problem? as of now, the only problem is that audio can not be played through the internal speakers, im assuming that this is because the tip of the audio jack is plugged. pls help. cant wait till the weekend... kawawa naman mac ko..

2. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Just have an Apple tech pry out the tip left inside and it should be okay.

3. Kenneth

Kenneth Moderator

how about buying some super glue and try to glue the tip of a toothpick or something thicker to the end of whats left of the jack. when it dries, slowly pull it out.

4. davaeno88

davaeno88 Member

That just happened to me last week.

I brought my unit to the apple tech here in Davao. AFter two days he told me he couldn't pry it out. He said he already put apart my unit (I also use a unibody mbp) but it is really stuck in there. He mentioned that he even made a hook with something like a pin and he was able to really get a good grip but it just won't budge.

I got it back temporarily with the piece still stuck and he said he will research more on how to take it out. I had concerns about the glue trick since the hook earlier didn't work.

I hope you guys can help. Thanks!

5. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Here are success stories to inspire you. Again, be careful.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

OT: sorry. i don't mean to laugh at your plight, but it reminded me of similar incidents, but medical in nature. :D

try using a tweezer.

7. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

can't a magnet pull it out?... sorry to hear about this. the link looks wonderful
    - OOPS, DON'T USE MAGNETS DAW!

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Tell your technician to find a right size shrink tubing. One that will freely fit over the broken jack and through the jack hole. Once inside, blow with a hair dryer so the tubing shrinks. Pull the tubing out and hopefully the broken jack along with it.

Another way is to cut thin strip of stiff plastic. Maybe from a plastic cup. Insert to push the spring that hold the jack. Pull out and hope friction pulls the jack with it. Alternatively you can use very fine strip of sand paper. Rough side towards the jack. Smooth side towards the outer diameter of the hole. Try to pull it out.

Do not play any sound. We do not know if the jack has shorted out the contact points. If they are shorted, you could burn out the opamp.

9. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

if the plug left inside has a gap on the wall, try use a yarn, sewing thread or like, insert into the hole and ikod-ikod until it get hold of the plug and slowly pull it out.

hope this help

10. davaeno88

davaeno88 Member

SUCCESS!! Took only 3 minutes. Used a Gimlet (Thin metal screw with a handle on one end. Bought at DIY). Only thing now is that the Mac still doesn't know that the piece is out already.

My unit is still under warranty but the second Apple technician I went to took only 5 minutes to say he can't do anything about it. So I had to take matters into my own hands.

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The connecting tab for detection must have been bent by your effort. See if you can pick it to bend the other way, thus releasing contact. Do this with the Mac off.

12. davaeno88

davaeno88 Member

You mean the copper looking strips inside the port? Thanks for the tip. Will check it out, need to compare it to another unit though to be sure.

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

There are possibly 3 tabs. One doubles for switch activation and a signal wire. Try to push on it and hope it clicks. You may be able to switch it so your speakers work. I suspect that it is damaged so automatic detection may not work any more.

14. b3nn3tt

b3nn3tt Member

maybe you can try to plug in and out a new jack and see if it helps.

15. raymond

raymond New Member

That happened to me also, my philips headphone jack was left inside my mac. because my macbook accidentally fell while i was watching a movie. I just bought mighty bond, put a FEW drops on the tip of the broken end, held the two together for a minute or so and then pulled it really fast and then TADAAAAA. it was fixed. Kind of reminded me of an old panday movie I saw decades ago.

(I feel that what i did was too risky, had i placed more mighty bond, it could have made problem worse)