Hard Drive Upgrade or External Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by rdy0329, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hello, I have been contemplating for awhile now if I would pursue a 500GB hard drive upgrade or just buy one of those external drives that is about the same capacity?

Pros of Internal Upgrade:
    More room
    more bootcamp partition
    no moving of files

Pros of External:
    Time Machine
    Portable
    Backup files in case of internal drive failures.

What did you guys take or would suggest?

2. kaizersix

kaizersix Member

internal upgrade for me.. this way you can just buy an enclosure for the old hdd and you now have an external one.. not ideal for backup though since it has lower capacity..

3. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

For me.. I would buy an external drive since I can get a higher capacity for the same money.. I'll just load what I need on my laptop whenever I need to work at some other place.. I can also bring the external drive if I want to.. :)

BTW, I'm talking about a 3.5 external drive. :)

4. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Upgrading to a 500GB internal HD is like having all your eggs in one basket... Now a good backup strategy will always point you to have an external drive. I myself was in that situation, but experience will always win over convenience so I chose a 1TB external drive which costs less than a 500GB external drive. Now i have the flexibility of having timemachine partition and two data drives, one for the Mac and the other for Windows.

5. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Where and how much? :eek:

6. pilgrim28

pilgrim28 Active Member

Acenet GH, got it for P5,880. :D it's a Seagate FreeAgent Desk.

7. DigitalAnalog

DigitalAnalog Member

An external desktop drive (e.g. Seagate FreeAgent Desk, WD My Book) is faster than most internal drives and will almost always be cheaper per unit of storage. The only problem is that it can't run straight from FireWire or USB. If you need it for field work, you may want to upgrade your internal drive and buy an external enclosure for your current drive; or just buy an external portable drive (e.g. Seagate FreeAgent or WD My Passport.) :)

8. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

If there's no budget constraints, I suggest you get both.

I currently have a 320gb passport essential, external drive solely dedicated for my MB. It holds my music and my movies so that my MB is multimedia free.

Recently I ordered a 500gb internal drive to replace my 250gb original internal drive. Since I made this decision, what I'll do now, is sell my 320gb external and transfer all my multimedia on the new 500gb internal.

I really don't need the external anymore since, I have an iMac who holds everything I have on the MB, and connected to a 1TB Timecapsule for back up. Which is also connected to a 320gb Lacie for TimeMachine.

What, Im trying to say is, it's important to always have a back-up. So if you decide to get the 500gb internal, I suggest you also get a back up drive for that.

The 500gb internal is very convenient for me than carrying another external drive all the time.

9. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

I agree with iceman. Upgraded my MBP to 500 gig via charlie and still maintain external backups for my files. As for me I have several Externals 80-120 gig (old HD which I have) and what's stored are classiffied per ext. HD such as pictures, movies lectures etc.

10. zoldhic

zoldhic Member

Go for 500GB external. portability issue.

11. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

huhu? Portability issue?

wouldn't be an external more of an issue than a internal drive when it comes to portabililty? you'd have to carry around another HD and usb/fw cable.

12. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for the input guys! My MacBook is aging but I'm not really on the burg of replacing it YET. If I were to buy a new Mac, it would be an iMac but back to the topic. I've decided for Internal drive. I'll contact Charlie right away!

13. schizont

schizont Member

I use a WD My Book Studio Edition 500 GB for my data. My internal drive is for apps only. You may want to get a 2.5 in external HDD for portability.

14. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

whatever you choose its gonna be a winner since you adding space. hehehe.

But internal drive would be much better if you do take it with you everytime. Less clutter. Less bulk.

15. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

How much did you pay for the 500gb?

16. savadious

savadious Active Member

Upgrading that internal to 500g sounds like a good idea...

Then run down to CDRking and buy this USB DOCK !
    (its not an elclosure at all.. a DOCK! Just like the ipod dock!)

That way you can plug in ANY external drive you have laying around and swap between them at any time you choose !

But its P990 ... if you only have ONE drive and never will have more then an enclosure costs less than 1/2 that price !

Some who replied seem to have multiple drives laying around ...

[​IMG]

17. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

hahaha ayos yan ah. but still the HD is exposed. and there's always a chance of static electricity.

But a good alternative to those who have multiplte HDD lying around.

18. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

Parang oven toaster lang ah! hehehe

19. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

I am also planning of upgrading my HDD to 500gb to have more room for my growing multiedia collection then will just put enclosure in my old 120g to save very important files like old pics, etc.

20. yaiagustin

yaiagustin Member

Question!!! :)
    If I upgrade my internal HD and then use the old one as an external (put it in an enclosure), will it still be under apple care? :)