Guys need help with my Macbook Pro 17" (Juice Spill)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by amparo04, Mar 9, 2010.

1. amparo04

amparo04 Member

my macbook pro accidentally got spilled by a juice(fit n right) but only minimal 3-4 spoons approx. the spill is near the ports, keyboard and trackpad. i rinse it with my microfibre cloth right away after that i use our air compressor so the juice will get dry right away. so now i'm waiting 3-4 days to turn my mbp on. need some advice. where is the best place to get my mbp checked up?

2. peppers

peppers Member

Re: Guys need help with my Macbook Pro 17"

You could be lucky if after 4 days of drying out it will work just fine....BUT...I dont advice you to do that. Spilled laptops must be opened by qualified technicians in order to clean up and dry them internally. Juice when dry will have some sort of sticky property (partly because of sugar) especially when heated (u turn on the laptop)...and eventually could damaged your laptop (melting sugar/juice residue can liquify and short circuit) later on. The technician should remove (wipe with the proper cloth and solution) the juice that solidify especially on the inside of the laptop and dry them out carefully with a dryer.

You must remember that even if your MBP is under warranty Apple does not consider mishandled electronic devices to be covered, so if your laptop is under warranty and was spilled by liquid and you bring it to the Service, they will remind you about the policy and after servicing your laptop.....if it is okay and going , they wont normally charge you with the service....but if after the spill they clean up but your laptop isnt normal anymore..then you have to pay for the service and parts thats gonna be incurred...even when ur laptop is under warranty.

Also, if you dont bring it to the service provider, u dry the laptop and after 4 days it is working again normally, u r lucky...but may not be long. If your laptop break down somewhere in the future and u bring it to the service provider, even if you dont tell them about the spill, they will find out about it because of the residue inside. Then again they will inform u of the spill and their policy about it.

FinalLy, f ur laptop is out of warranty....you can DIY the internal cleaning....There are some links here...google it on how to clean a spilled laptop.

At this point I dont advice you to turn on the MBP.....Post us if you still have any hesitation.....

Gudluck!

3. RC

RC Active Member

Any place that sells Apple products should be able to help you out...

Why not bring it to where you bought your unit from???

p.s. there's a list of Apple sellers just use the search function on the upper right hand corner

4. amparo04

amparo04 Member

I bought my MBP in Hong Kong. I don't think I'll be going there soon. However, I could get it repaired here in the Phil. Where do you think is the best service provider here? Thank you so much for your help.

5. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

I recommend Digital Hub in V Mall. If it's out of warranty, Ynzal.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

6. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Bring it to:
    - any Digital Hub store (search for the Digital Hub Social Group in this forum for contact details). V-Mall branch is 5714447.
    - any Power Mac Center (Greenbelt 3, for example, is 7297128).
    - Senco Link (in Makati is, 8934103)

These are the only companies I have experience with so these are the only ones I can vouch for.

Apart from figuring out if there was any damage done by the liquid and fruit acids, the technician should also check for residue sugar, which may give you an ant problem in the future if not cleaned thoroughly. Some Mac users who love eating right by their Macs would occasionally have ant visitors crawling about their keyboards; what more a direct juice spill.

7. amparo04

amparo04 Member

ok guys thank you so much for the info. it helped a lot.

8. jpiddy

jpiddy Member

were you able to have it fixed already?

9. amparo04

amparo04 Member

Yes. I'm going to release it tom. at Digital Hub in Vmall. They said its working fine now.

10. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

good to hear about your mbp. goes without saying but please take extra care of your mac :)

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I normally implement a liquid proximity perimeter around my Mac. With no liquid to spill, my Mac is safe. I also wash my hands before I type. I don't eat and use my Mac at the same time. I do believe I can get by without typing for 15-30 minutes. I never carry objects over my Mac. When I move my Mac, I consciously watch my step and think about nothing else. Only an alcohol damped microfiber cloth touches my screen. It doesn't really take a lot to take care of your Mac.

12. amparo04

amparo04 Member

OT:
    where can i get a screen protector for 17" MBP?

13. ronmtorres

ronmtorres Member

try any digital hub nearest you. tell them you're a Phil Mugger, you might get a discount :) HTH