Guitar Hero

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by jsaure, Jul 25, 2007.

1. jsaure

jsaure Member

Any Guitar Hero fans here? Guitar Hero Encore: Rock of the 80's came out today and I'm stoked! :D

2. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Im still playing GHII on my X360 in hard mode. Hirap na sobra!

3. jsaure

jsaure Member

Hard mode? Tindeh! I still can't get 5 yellow stars for most songs on Medium. Especially Freebird!

4. suavecito

Practise makes 5 stars. Heheheeh.

5. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Anyone know what the going rate for GH 360 is at Data Blitz? Im pretty sure if I order this through Play-asia, I'm gonna get taxed.

6. suavecito

Yeah and im telling you its box is pretty heavy. I heard its around 4.5K in stores right now.

7. brain1976

brain1976 Member

I'd hold off until the next GH for the Xbox. There are some button placement issues with the Xbox version. But it all depends on your playing style. I'm playing with the PS2 version and Im very excited with this version.

8. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

got the GH2 on the 360 as well... pretty much mastered easy and medium... but hard is really ... err hard.... :p

can't wait for rock band though...

9. gbbles

gbbles Member

If you guys dig GH and GH2, you'll love its open-source counterpart... Frets on Fire! You can even play GH1 and 2 songs on it. A word of caution though, the latest version doesn't work on the mac for some odd reason, use the previous one instead. I even got it to work with a GH2 PS2 controller! Good times...

10. suavecito

This is cool, but its hard to play knowing you wont get any achievements. Lately i've became an achievement ***** with X360.

11. gbbles

gbbles Member

Well, it's got a whole community supporting it. All the scores are also uploadable via the world charts. Plus, you can even create your own tunes!

12. berniej

berniej Active Member

just tried Frets on Fire... now I think I need to get a CDR King keyboard because my macbook keyboard could get wreckd with all the licks :D

13. gbbles

gbbles Member

Yeah, a USB keyboard is definitely the way to go if you want low-level entry. Once you're hooked though, you'll be on the hunt for the nearest PS2 / Xbox 360 GH controller, or the likeness thereof, you can find. FYI, there are about 8GB worth of 'song packs' out in the wild, if you know where to look. You can also hit the FoF forums for info on user-generated songs. Some of them are good, mind you.

14. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Anybody who's tried Frets On Fire?

It's an open source multiplatform version of Guitar Hero. I downloaded the OS X version but can't seem to run it. Keep encountering an error message.

15. berniej

berniej Active Member

Use the older version. I run Version 1.1.234 on mine. There are bugs that will hang the program but stil pretty usable.

16. gbbles

gbbles Member

Hi bernie, did you mean 1.1.324? Just want to avoid any confusion, you can get that here.

17. jsaure

jsaure Member

Frets on Fire is nice and free but I think I'd stick with GH.

I used to look at people playing GH and think, "What a bunch of dorks!" Now I'm even buying those damn stickers to make my axe more unique. Never knew I'd be having as much fun playing a toy guitar as much as a real one.

Speaking of GH addiction, there was a pro baseball pitcher who had to sit out a couple of games due to GH-induced injury. He hurt his arm using the controller over long periods. Needless to say, he got pwnt.

18. gbbles

gbbles Member

If you own a console, then for sheer eye candy and interface, it's GH - hands down. What FoF offers is accessibility. It doesn't hurt to have both huh? As for injuries, take this guy who broke his knee playing GH and blaming Red Octane for it! Go figure.

19. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Now, for the next question - how many of you that play GH actually know how to play guitar?

Just curious =)

20. gbbles

gbbles Member

I was actually pondering the same Q Vic. I for one don't! But for a few fleeting seconds, GH makes your feel like you rock like one who's been at it for years. Be it with a guitar controller (GH/FoF) or a computer keyboard (FoF).

#20 gbbles, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007