GUI Design for Mobile

Discussion in 'Graphic Designers' started by drigal, Oct 31, 2014.

1. drigal

drigal Member

Good day Guys,

Newbie here, just kindly want to ask if how to create a GUI design for mobile? What software do you use? Does it need programming? Or do I need a programmer and just do the design? Can you use adobe illustrator? If I can use AI, how many pixel and what is the size of the artboard do I need to use? Thank you so much in advance

2. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

Hi there..

I'm a Senior User Experience Designer and when you say "design" it usually falls under the "static" and "prototype" phase of the PDLC..

I use Adobe Photoshop as my main tool in designing UI for our mobile apps, my designers use Adobe Illustrator for vector graphics (icons etc) and lastly I use Axure Rapid Prototyping to present a "working" prototype to express the UI recommendation.

Last phase will be the developers/programmers which will code it either via phonegap/xamarine/HTML5 etc (if its a web-based application commonly called as "hybrid" apps) or XCode/JAVA (for native applications).

3. drigal

drigal Member

Thank you Sir! Just kindly want to ask if I can ask you for an advice through email? Because I want to learn more about this GUI design. Pls. feel free to contact me through my email at [email protected]

4. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

5. jayeatworld

jayeatworld Member

I write iPhone apps for a living. We usually just use balsamiq mock ups to layout the UX then a graphics guy comes in to make it look good usually with photoshop.

6. jorizh09

jorizh09 Member

Hello,

Seems a little late, but since you're starting out I strongly recommend you to try Sketch 3 for Mac as your main "design" software to create the GUI. It's vector based and is built for UI design. Exporting assets are a lot easier here. But If you're already good at photoshop, then by all means get the Photoshop CC 2014 , this particular version is better for UI designers because it has better guides than older versions..

7. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

Hi everyone, any good links/book recommendations regarding UI/UX design? I'm currently designing for print and digital but I'm planning to transition on designing for mobile (or web) since that would be the future, eventually. Possibly design-heavy content with a mix of coding.