GTD (Getting Things Done) Software / Rollcall

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ultratramp, Jun 5, 2006.

1. bubuyog

bubuyog Member

Hi guys!

One positive offspring of the whole GTD methodology is the renewed advocacy for the old-fashioned Tickler File System (which is obviously from where 43folders.com got its name). Some drawbacks I encountered whilst attempting at a faithful rendition of the tickler file principle:

1. Lack of manila folders with middle or right tabs;

2. Lack of a 5" portable file holder (as suggested here) or any appropriate standalone drawer in which to keep the 43 folders; and

3. Lack of handheld labeling device to neatly label the 43 folders and for other uses as espoused by David Allen himself.

I may not have looked hard enough as my unsuccessful hunt was limited to a handful of National Bookstore branches (because I thought of all office supplies stores National would have had the most extensive stock hereabouts). Much appreciated, therefore, if you guys could point me to stores that carry the aforementioned items.

And oh, just a survey that I would be happy to get a response to: assuming I could fabricate a Tickler File System - complete with the much sought-after file holder that doesn't even come bundled with Mr. Allen's commercial folders here - and sell it for a price definitely not as expensive as Mr. Allen's, would you be interested to make a purchase? Any suggestions on how this commercial Tickler File System should look like and what it should be made of?

Thanks in advance mates Happy GTDing! =)

2. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

To iPhone users, OmniFocus will be supported when version 2.0 comes out. This is awesome because I've been using OmniFocus and I find it to be really exquisite.

3. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

@bubuyog: I just use regular folders both for tickler and for filing stuff away. I used to be OC like you but I realized that it really is about setting up a system you can trust and for me it was aobut having the supplies readily at hand rather than the 'ideal' that way my workflow isnt disrupted by not having the materials i want.

@DJ: Im gonna give omni focus a look, but ive switched to a simple .rtf file based inbox which ive found a way to organize to my liking such that I could make an entry as simple as a single line of text or a lengthy series of paragraphs with accompanying pics. i've found it to be the most elegant of all, since it conforms to my way of thinking, rather than myself to its rules...

4. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

ultratramp, you might want to also check out macjournal as a repository for bits and pieces of digital information (both texts and photos).

5. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

@DJ: thanks, ive tried it along with sticky brain and other similar apps, and as ive mentioned earlier in this thread i switched to textedit for a little less clutter.

6. fish

fish Member

hi guys! which GTD can i use for my iPod Touch?

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Try Things. Free on your Mac but not on your iPod Touch/iPhone. I've been using it productively since I got my iPhone.