Great Writers' and Editors' Tools

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by penmanila, Nov 24, 2006.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

hi, folks (especially fellow writers and editors): i just stumbled on this freeware app in versiontracker:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31314

WriteInOne puts all your .doc files (whichever you choose) in one window, so you can just switch between them on the fly if you need to edit things fast. it's not fully developed yet--i don't see how styling like italics is carried over--but for editing on the fly, it may not be too bad. and hey, it's free!

let's use this thread to contribute other software tools that may be useful to our profession.

butch

#1 penmanila, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  2. jnjqn

jnjqn Member

great app! i opened a few word documents and the stylings like italics, bold, etc were intact. i've yet to explore it fully but it looks like standard commands apply (i.e. cmnd-b, cmnd-i etc.). thanks penmanila! very useful for newspaper editing!

#2 jnjqn, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. rocketpunch

rocketpunch Member

Very nice! This is great for 12" screens like mine where space is limited... :D

4. rcs

rcs Member

Thanks Butch.

5. jasondv

jasondv Member

I haven't used these tools yet , but a number of 'friends' have spoken highly of them:
    Google Docs (formerly know as Writely): for collaborative writing/editing. I've used the Writeboard feature of Basecamp, which is based on the same principle, and collaborative writing/editing is a breeze for teams whose members are in different locations but are frequently online.
    WriteRoom: an app that turns your desktop into a clean space for writing (pretty much like a throwback to the WordStar/Wordperfect days under DOS). Perfect for those who tend to get distracted by a cluttered desktop/workspace.

Both apps are free :)

#5 jasondv, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  6. vicicasas

vicicasas Active Member

Count me in as a fan of WriteRoom's "clean space" feature. I used to use Ulysses in demo mode before WriteRoom came along!

7. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

oops. how could i have forgotten to do search before starting that new thread on WriteRoom? Mods, may we please have a merge?

Also, just found a WriteRoom update. It's a beta version that's shareware and has about ten new features, but I'm sticking to the original version since I only use the app for compsing, and then open everything with microsoft word in the end, for sending as email attachments and for sharing files.