GPS of iPhone 3GS could not locate my position

Discussion in 'iPod, Apple TV and other Apple-branded entertainm' started by alikishi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

I just arrived here in singapore and tried to locate myself but it said that it couldn't locate my position. Has this something to do with the fact that I don't have data plans while on roaming?

2. Nicky

Nicky Member

It'll work if you're on WiFi, but...yeah, assuming you're using a Globe line, it won't work unless you turned on data roaming.

3. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

what software are you using? the gps satellite should be able to pinpoint wherever you are in the world. if you're talking about the maps loading, then yes, you'd have to be on wifi or data roaming.

4. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm here in Thailand, my iPhone 3GS GPS is working. I don't have a data plan.
    And yes, I'm on a Globe iPhone.

GPS does not need cellular service to work on the 3G & 3GS. Try doing it outdoors.

Leo

5. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Try restarting the phone too.

6. irisgodd3ss

irisgodd3ss Member

Slightly OT, what app would you recommend to get the iPhone's GPS working independently of wifi or data plans? :)

7. alikishi

i wasn't referring to the maps being downloaded. I was expecting to see the blue dot while I was traveling via taxi pero wala siya. I only got the my location (blue dot) when I was able to connect to a wifi network. Consequently, nadownload rin niya yung map detail.

Weird

8. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    Yup, I agree, GPS works without a data connection. I am only using 3g but I have a GPS app that works perfectly without using 3g or wifi, all you need is to be in a position (preferably outside) that will get you good signals

9. rage30

rage30 Member

what gps app is that?

10. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

I use OffMaps aka Offline Maps. It stores map data locally so you don't need to be constantly connected to the internet. I've downloaded the entire Metro Manila map to my iPhone.

Curious, where did you people get the notion that you need to have an internet connection and/or data roaming to get your GPS working?

11. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

iPhone is using, I think, assisted GPS not true GPS. You need to connect to wifi or network if you don't have a true GPS apps.

I'll try the Offmaps :D

12. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

iPhone uses assisted GPS (when indoors) if true GPS (works when outdoors) is not available. You don't need true GPS apps. If you're indoors, Google Maps will give you an approximate location using assisted GPS.

13. alikishi

but the weird thing is that only when I was able to get a wifi connection from my hotel did my position appear. All the while from the airport to the hotel, the maps application couldn't get my location.

14. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Did you see a blue dot (blinking) in the Maps app but with a grey background? You also need to tap on the cross-hair button in the lower left of the app. If you did see the blue dot then your iPhone's GPS is working. You just don't have the overlay maps to show you where you are exactly. Think of the grey background as the invisible map grid the actual Google map tiles are placed when you have data connection.

15. elbert

elbert Active Member

Location Services has to be switched on for the GPS to work.

As long as you're outdoors, even if the map of your location is not preloaded (which requires a data connection), you should be able to see the blue dot signifying your location, albeit in a gray background. If it can't locate the GPS Satellites (which can take a while), then it'll use cellular triangulation, in which you'll need to be with a GSM or 3G signal. In the absence of that, then it may reference the hotspot you are in to establish your location. That's probably the reason for the message.

HTH

16. rage30

rage30 Member

which is much better ? manila sreetmap offline or manila offline street map? is it really complete?

17. alikishi

I know how the built in maps application of apple work. I can't see the blue dot. As I said, the weird thing is only when I was able to connect to the wifi connection of the hotel when both the dot and the map (obviously I was able to download the map via the wifi connection).

18. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

By the sound of it, looks like as Elbert has said, you havent turned on "Location" services. Hence blue dot only showing up via wifi. Its odd though cause usually a pop up prompt usually appears and asks you to turn on "Location" services to enable GPS.

19. MacNeil

MacNeil Member

I changed my APN so as not to incur charges and went outdoor to check the GPS. After tapping the map app, a message "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribe to a cellular data network" appeared. I tapped ok and a blue dot appeared. Tried searching for an address and it said "Could not connect to internet" I put back the normal APN, the address that I've searched appeared and showed the map.

Does it really take a long time to get a GPS signal?

20. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    The application is N Drive, try it, it's really a great GPS application