Government Emergency Alerts

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by argonautjay, Jan 1, 2018.

1. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

Seems like emergency alerts (not just texts) are now supported on Globe. I received one earlier.

2. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Also Globe. Received one too.. and multiple NDRMMC messages.

I just turned the emergency off

3. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Also Globe. Received one too.. and multiple NDRMMC messages.

I just turned the emergency off

4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Woke me up and my kids too.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

It’s all part of the National Emergency Alert System. You know, just in case, some emergency happens.

Better informed is better safe.

ronjet, Ejaxene and bacchus_3 like this.
  6. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

Which means it's working as intended. :D I hope they don't overdo these alerts as some might just disable it.

7. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Sometime two years ago where I’m currently living, we had a really strong earthquake during the night (11pm something) and tsunami warnings had been put in place. You could assume that a lot of people just slept through the EQ with no clue of it happening at all.

I was really worried that something might happen that night and I was alone in our sharehouse at that time yet I still fell asleep... I thought belatedly that that's okay because if ever something did happen the emergency alerts pushed to phones would wake me up and prompt me to move. I know that for a fact because they had performed announced test alerts in the past. If by some twist of fate that something happened and I didn't get woken up by an alert, that's probably my fate but there would be other people and families who would wake up and evacuate.

Don't turn them off. It won't be embarrassing if your phone goes off especially when others have it on as well. It could potentially save lives.

Sana lang though if the messages you got are tests they could've announced it beforehand... And leave the noisiest kind to the most crucial alert.

hitme64 and raypin like this.
  8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I almost died when I was working out (Volume 80% on AirPods). Almost everyone got it at the gym though so weird looks all around. I'm for it. Hopefully rainfall warning would be relegated to text messages while urgent emergency alerts (Tornado, Tsunami, Earthquake, Nuke, Alien Invasion) are reserved for this non-mutable feature.

9. shiznit

shiznit Member

Got two iPhones for Smart & Globe and these do surprises me every time the alerts give their 1kHz tone in stereo :LOL:
    But hey, it does work for me ;)

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The NGEAS will cover practically these emergency situations:
    Torrential Rains,
    Typhoons and other Severe Weather events,
    Earthquakes
    Volcanic Eruptions
    Man-made emergency situations
    Chemical, Biological, Ecological, Radiological and Nuclear Emergency (CBERNE) situations...
    It somehow has to incorporate related situational components like evacuation areas, choke points to be avoided, emergency management protocols and central rallying points, and diffusement status protocols for the information of every citizen.

That, nonetheless, is still being done and will be likely operational within the year.

Ghibli, gaol and bacchus_3 like this.
  11. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Is this the same as the SMS being sent out by NDRMMC? Both my wife and I only received SMS and none of the emergency message on our Android device (S8) under Globe.

12. mree

mree Active Member

I haven't received any emergency alters on my iPhone. I'm with Globe. However, when I had a layover in Seoul last March, I remember receiving an emergency warning from the SK government due to the thick haze.

[​IMG]

#32 mree, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

Are emergency alerts enabled in your Messages app settings? If it's not there you might have to update your phone software to get the latest carrier settings and customizations.

By the way, I captured one on video two days ago, in case some of you still haven't received one and want to see/hear how they sound like.

porkypork likes this.