Google Pixel and Pixel XL Phone

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by neilrg, Oct 5, 2016.

1. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Google finally took the wraps off their latest phones, the Pixel and Pixel XL.

As what the leaks have revealed, the design is kinda iPhone-ish with quite a bit of bezels here and there. The back is a mix of glass and aluminum.

[​IMG]

Pixel / Pixel XL Specs and Features:
    5-inch 1080p / 5.5-inch 1440p 2.5D display
    Snapdragon 821 quad-core
    4GB RAM
    32 or 128GB models
    Google Assistant built-in
    12.3MP rear camera w/ f2.0 aperture
    8MP front camera w f2.4 aperture
    Unlimited original-resolution Google Photos storage
    Pixel Imprint sensor (fingerprint)
    2770 / 3450mAh battery
    USB-C
    LTE - RoW variant supports 700MHz (band 28), 1800MHz (band 3), and 2100MHz (band 1) along with carrier-aggregation used by PH carriers
    Colors: Very Black, Quite Silver and Really Blue

US pricing starts at $649 for Pixel and $769 for Pixel XL. The 128GB storage model comes at a $100 premium.

https://madeby.google.com/phone/

2. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

looks good and looks like an iphone!

3. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Underwhelmed. Nothing groundbreaking. Unlimited photo storage will not be useful if they don't have a good scheme to store low-resolution copies combined with full-resolution ones on your phone especially when your library is already beyond 32gb in size. As for the camera, raw sensor ability is just half of the "picture" - its the software processing equally or more important for picture quality.
    It will not be wildly popular in the near term for the simple reason that Google is hampered by their lack of physical phone distribution network globally. Even if you wanted to buy it, you cannot find it. Like the Nexus phones. Had they dropped the prices to $200 then that might be a different story.

Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  4. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

People who buy Android do so because they cannot afford an iPhone.

By pricing it at par with the iPhone I see very little reason for anyone buying this outside of geeks and nerds.

It does not help that this phone only has Verizon as their US partner.

I doubt either Globe or Smart will carry the Pixel either.

HTC Philippines closed down in 2012 so you have to purposeful import it yourself.

Now, if they priced it the same way then they did with my Nexus 6P then they have a better chance.

dopster00, Sunil_K and raypin like this.
  5. iDarwin

iDarwin Active Member

I wish it has dual sim. I only buy android phone as business phone (and use the 2nd sim for DATA when on travel).

6. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

a better designed iPhone, no more thumb feeding,
    but iPhone sure has best cases option,
    Pixel will be use naked,

lets see how much when it reach our shore

7. Provboy

Provboy PhilMUG Addict Member

I strongly disagree. Android flagships cost as much as the iPhone - and some people just can't stand iOS

But I agree that the Pixel may be dead already. Too expensive, and other Android flagships offer more for less.

Godfather likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm... I can afford an iPhone, I just choose Android, because it's a superior platform. I buy my wife iPhones though because that's what she prefers.

But I do agree that giving the Pixel a premium, Apple-sized price is a wrong move. The legendary Nexus 5 was cheap but it was one helluva performer.

I think should have looked at Samsung as their main competitor and patterned their phone as such.

#8 Godfather, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  9. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I was just about to say the same thing:

That the choice for Android is not necessarily because one cannot afford iPhones and that there are PhilMuggers who can afford to be Muggers (i.e. Mac and IOS users) but choose Android phones. I myself have an iPhone 6+ (and Watch) and a Nexus 6P. But right now i somehow prefer to use the Nexus 6P under Nougat.

Samsung Galaxy Phones are the standard by which Android phones are measured, and at the announced price points of the Pixel phones, it's a tough sell versus the Note 7 and S7.

10. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

with the pricing and both pixels at 8.6mm thick, i was really hoping google would include waterproofing..

11. King

You both have a point as to personal preference on platform but chances are price has more an influence for the majority of Android users when buying a phone.

91% of all smartphones sold are Android.

Of which 58% of all phones sold in the Philippines are P4,000

This makes 1 out of 25 phones sold here as iPhones.

Google tried price positioning the Nexus 6 equal to an equivalent iPhone.

It did not sell.

My Nexus 6P was cheaper by $200 to an equivalent iPhone 6S Plus because of that.

My guess is that it sold better.

With the Pixel I see this as another Nexus 6 in the making.

#11 King, Oct 5, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  12. King

I would like to add that at that price point Google should support the Pixel for a minimum of 5 years worth of software updates.

Right now Nexus devices are abandoned in about 2 years.

Why 5 years? Because the iPhone 4S sold in 2011 did not receive iOS 10 update in 2016.

Does Samsung, LG or Motorola support as long as half a decade?

13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

OT: Mmm.....after leaving Windows Mobile (with the discontinuation of Microsoft's mobile hardware business and the end of the Lumia line) and after many, many years of usage, I switched to Android and bought a Samsung A9 Pro (a six-incher). It is a nice, premium phablet and a good device as any to experience the best of the Android ecosystem. To complement it, I have a Samsung S2 Mini-Tab, a Huawei and another Samsung..........then came an iPad Pro 12.9, followed by the iPhone 7 Plus and an Apple Watch (Series 1) to re-experience the best of the Apple ecosystem. My verdict: Apple devices are still better, smoother, faster, has more cohesion across device classes in terms of design and usage features, and exudes a more premium feel. It may be more "walled gardened" as it lacks customization (an Andoid specialty) but what counts far more is the overall experience. Google, with the Pixel devices and Chrome laptops, is attempting to replicate the Apple experience but it will fail because it goes against its key strength and weakness: an open system that allows for choice and customization but it is also system that it cannot control (how does Google deal with dozens of independent companies to ensure uniformity to experience Android?). The end-result? The overall experience is diluted and highly dependent on the hardware and brand choices. Example: My cheaper Huawei mini-tab is clearly inferior to my more expensive Samsung mini-tab even though they are on the same platform version of Android. The cheaper Samsung is inferior to the more expensive Samsung. Whereas with Apple, the least expensive product vis-a-vis the more expensive Apple product is never compromised. You do not feel left out or short-changed.

I'm sticking with Apple (in re-building my digital life across all device classes, post-Microsoft and post-Android). As they say about Apple, it just works.

#13 raypin, Oct 5, 2016
    dopster00 likes this.
  14. gaol

I actually agree with points raised either way and my earlier comment was not meant to trigger another (pointless) debate about iOS vs Android, mac vs the rest. (Personally, my feet are firmly on Mac soil but every now and then I lean over the fence to the other side. :))

What I'm iffy about is the statement that, the only/main reason people buy an Android phone is because they cannot afford iPhones.
    Its open system, as mentioned by raypin above, is one reason among many.

15. King

I would hazard a guess that 1 out of every 25 Android phone sold is a flagship. ;)

Majority of those replying on this thread probably are covered by that statement.

16. gaol

Now back to topic, aside from the price, a potential deal breaker for me towards getting a Pixel XL to replace my Nexus 6P is the lack of water resistance. I think that should now be a given already for flagship phones.

King likes this.
  17. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the issue w/ the Pixel pricing is that most of the Google/Nexus user base are used to their modest pricing before. So it is no surprise that people are shocked w/ the Pixel price tag.

And just to give my cents on the topic above, let's just say that there are some people who buy Android phones because they're inexpensive, and then there are those who can afford an iPhone, but still goes to buy a flagship Android because of the difference in the software (e.g. they prefer an open approach as opposed to Apple's walled-garden on iOS).

18. gaol

I believe that's one reason why Google nixed the Nexus branding and named the new phones Pixel so they could remove the association with "bang for the buck" and "modestly priced premium phone."

But the potential market for the phones is still largely the Nexus phone user, and to most of these guys, a Nexus by any other name is still a Nexus. Hence the sticker shock.

Godfather, Sunil_K and King like this.
  19. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Totally disagree with this, Android Flagships here in Singapore are more expensive than the iPhone and you still see more Android users... iPhone users just rised again when the "Plus" iPhones were released.

e.g. (On Plan SGD 42/month, 32GB models)

iPhone 7 - S$570.00
    Galaxy S7 - S$628.00

This is thanks to their chosen partner... HTC... I believe HTC used the A9 as a base!

Maybe things would have been different if Huawei agreed to build the Pixel phones.

Actually, 18 months to be exact...

But as we all know, Android software updates is not simple since chips maker must also make the new Android version by creating the necessary drivers.

Remember the Galaxy Nexus' issue with Texas Instruments...

Pixel looks like Google's "Premium Brand"... Remember the $ 1,300.00 Chromebook Pixel?

With both phone's announced prices, I can only see them competing with Sony Xperia devices...

20. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member