Google Pixel (2017)

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by ice, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Funny that the first statement is battery life. My nexus 6p shuts down when it hits 15%. Google still does RMA replacement with a Pixel for 6P that are out of warranty but sadly does not cover PH or handsets bought from Huawei.

Should have had my battery replaced as well when my phone did the boot loop on it's 13th month.

I guess that's why Googles flagship was so cheap.

3. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

I think the new pixel like the old pixel is going on software to carry itself. It looks like it will rely heavily on features from an improved google assistant and more machine learning tricks.

Leaks of the new pixel device looks unimpressive compared to the new iphones but Google's business has always been monetizing data. And I think they are concentrating on that more. They can always create iOS versions of their app and they can get data from iOS users.

Did anyone notice that there was no mention of how apple worked on improving siri in the last keynote?

I have owned almost all iterations of the Nexus but I am now actually contemplating on switching to iOS.

4. ice

We'll pay $1,000.00 for phone because...

- It's an Apple... Good resale value and you get 4 years iOS updates
    - It has an S-Pen, dual-camera, you can use it as a PC (with DeX)
    - Accessory makers support the device, giving you the freedom to customize

Knowing that the Pixel will arrive this part of Asia late... Support and service centre will not be as good as Samsung and Apple... And that the S9 is arriving soon...

$849 for the XL will be too much... I love Android... But I guess I'll have to look at Xiaomi's A1...

Google Pixel 2 XL will reportedly cost $849 for 64GB, $949 for 128GB | The Verge

5. yoh_hectic

^^

Correction, minimum 5 years iOS software updates. I am hoping for a 2018 iPad Pro with Super AMOLED display like the iPhone X by the time my 2013 iPad Air isn't supported anymore.

Google's minimum update period for the Nexus and Pixel are 2 years for Android version updates and 3 years for security patch updates.

[​IMG]

India was the only Asian country to officially get the Pixel 1 smartphone. Pixel 2 might get a wider release but I doubt the Philippines. Pixel 1 has the edge as it has unlimited original quality Google Photos storage.

For local warranty support the best option for a stock Android phone would be the rumored Nokia 9 or Moto Z2 Force.

What I dislike about Samsung (and any other Android brand) is their custom Android builds/skins that tend to cause delays in Android software or security patch updates. But that's the geek in me talking. :)

Other than software the camera built into the phone is what is important to me. So long as it is stock Android and has the highest camera score on DXOMark then I am game

Sunil_K likes this.
  6. ice

I was actually surprised that the 5S is getting iOS 11... :), big plus for Apple.

I used to hate this too, then I got older and preferred stability.

I wouldn't mind using a phone which still runs Marshmallow (till end of 2017), as long as all the apps I need work. (There was a time when my phone received Lollipop and my Gym App just kept on crashing. It took them more than 6 months to update the app! Booking classes was close to impossible :( )

The lack of updates are also useful to the Srs. back in Manila, I just make sure their mid-range phones are replaced every 2 years :)

I honestly hate OEMs for having their duplicate apps installed... Like Internet and Chrome for Samsung.

7. ice

Google is buying HTC's Pixel team for $1.1 billion | Engadget

8. ice

9. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

10. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

11. GilGrissom

A free Home mini and a $110 trade in value for my Nexus 6P. Sounded like a reasonable deal for me.

Thanks_for_your_Google_Store_order_-_lfbuccat_gmail_com_-_Gmail.jpg

12. ice

13. yoh_hectic

14. yoh_hectic

These are the possible 24 month postpaid plan prices of the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL.

Price includes 12% VAT and excludes SMS + Cellular Data + Voice minutes

$30.29 or P1,599 - $649 64GB Pixel 2
    $34.95 or P1,799 - $749 128GB Pixel 2

$39.62 or P2,099 - $849 64GB Pixel 2 XL
    $44.29 or P2,299 - $949 128GB Pixel 2 XL

#14 yoh_hectic, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  15. ice

16. yoh_hectic

^^ that means to me Globe may get it as an exclusive. I hope Google is a company big enough to refuse SIM-locking the phone.

macjobber likes this.
  17. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

i hope so... but the sim locking may not be present. i haven't seen on nexus/pixel carrier locked from galaxy nexus onwards

18. ice

19. ice

20. GilGrissom

Therr is indeed a noticeable blue tinge when viewing the xl at an angle...not a deal breaker for me though 9C92EC68-6982-4F7A-A285-823C57993787.jpeg