Google Chrome Helper - CPU Guzzler???

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kili-kili power, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kili-kili power

i've been enjoying using the Google Chrome Browser since it came out for the Mac... but i never took notice of its effect on battery life and CPU use... not until i opende activity monitor and low and behold...

[​IMG]

what on earth is Google Chrome Helper and why does it eat up that much CPU? in fact there have been times i've seen it at the 20-30% level...

i was frustrated before with Flash in Safari eating CPU and not giving my MBPRO the promised 5-7 hour battery life - good thing i remedied that by using a flash-blocker plug-in...

but now if i want to continue using GC browser without sacrificing battery life, what on earth do we do to limit the CPU use of GC Helper?

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I noticed this as well. But according to chrome blog. They call this Multi-process model. Since its tab has its own separate process. More here. In general its a good point why do we need Chrome if it eats up a lot of memory.

3. kili-kili power

goodbye google chrome for mac... how can you call yourself a light browser when you suck out more than a total of 80% of my cpu? coz of that you suck... back to safari i go...

[​IMG]

4. mindless

mindless Member

Its how google chrome sandboxes each tab/website you open. So when one tab crashes it doesnt take the rest of the browser. Still not a fan of Chrome though.