Google Chrome for iOS now available

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by textguru, Jun 29, 2012.

1. textguru

textguru Active Member

hey guys check apps store now and download Google Chrome http://t.co/S7AUlysN

2. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

Niiiice! I've been waiting for a while for this. Will check it out, thanks!

3. suchtambay

suchtambay Member

Downloaded. Yahoo!!!

4. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

Downloaded this, report says it is slower than safari?

5. Sanobabits

Sanobabits Member

I think I'll be sticking with Safari

6. catmik

catmik Member

I'll stick with dolphin browser. :)

7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

"Android Inside". ;)

8. morpheuzzz

morpheuzzz Member

Sorry to say, still slower than Safari when it comes to loading images and smooth scrolling, just like my experience with Opera. I'm on an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1.

The only upside for me is still the url and google search box in one, just like the desktop version.

Must be that Android in there somewhere. :)

9. mystavros

mystavros Member

Even when using the S3, its still slower compared to the built in browser.

10. morpheuzzz

morpheuzzz Member

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

its only for devices using Ivy Bridge...

MacBook crashes are Chrome's fault, confirms Google | The Verge

12. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

I'm liking it so far :) haven't really noticed the slowness yet, possibly because the sites that I frequent aren't graphics intensive.

Don't know why, but this is one of the google products that I like better than apple's. I use chrome for my mac, pc, and now also on ios devices.

13. reclamation

reclamation Member

Done downloading chrome

Thanks for the info

14. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

My staple browser on my iPad used to be Dolphin since I'm no Safari fan whether it be on my Mac or iOS but Chrome is slowly pulling me away from Dolphin. It's great!

15. jayeatworld

jayeatworld Member

Just installed Chrome for iOS.

I checked the user-agent (Whats My User Agent?) and found that it's still using Safari.

So basically this is just a Safari web view with a Google login and Chrome services. A UIWebView under the hood if you do iOS development.

I kinda thought that this was the case since I remember Apple policy saying you're not allowed to build apps that directly competes with the built in Apple apps (mail, safari, etc).

Why is it running slower than Safari you ask? Think of it as Safari with a Google plugin that eats up additional working memory.

So Chrome fans, don't jump for joy just yet, you're still using Safari!

Here's a screenshot of the results:

[​IMG]

#15 jayeatworld, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  16. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

safari, chrome, firefox, opera or even internet explorer on iOS, i would not mind at all. after all, having done what I intended to do is the most important.

17. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Interesting. So I did some tests and apparently, whatismybrowser.com does not give accurate results so it's not a good basis. For example,

On my Android phone:
    Dolphin -> It says I'm using Safari. No way since there's no Safari for Android
    Firefox -> It says Android browser. Wrong again.
    Android Browser -> It says Chrome. Still wrong
    Opera Mini -> The site finally gave the correct answer :)

On my iPad:
    Dolphin -> It says I'm using Mozilla
    Chrome -> It says Safari, like what you mentioned
    Safari -> tumama din ;)

18. jayeatworld

jayeatworld Member

Interesting how you went through all the trouble. However, those results are correct. That site is used regularly by devs to check for compatibility or see what their browser is sending over to servers. You see, everything being shown in that site is sent over by your browser. The server merely echoes it back.

I didn't want to go through the technical details/terminologies in my previous post, but I guess I'll have to explain this better. Let me step back a bit to give a bigger picture and explain what's happening here.

Dolphin, Chrome and Safari both use the same browser engine called Webkit. In fact, if you use Chrome on your desktop and go to any site that tells you details about your browser, you'd see "AppleWebkit" as the user-agent. WebKit was made by Apple which would probably explain why Dolphin on your Android would say Safari. I'm an iOS developer not an Android developer so I wouldn't know for sure. Also, since Android developers are not restricted by Google, who knows what developers have been doing with their browsers.

(now to continue with the explanation)

UIWebView is the library used by iOS developers to create browser functionality in all iOS apps (this is used by facebook, twitter, etc.) UIWebView also uses Safari's WebKit (surprise!). This simply means that any browsing done on an iOS device will use WebKit (Safari). This explains why Chrome (or any other In App Browser) on iOS would show up as "Safari" as its browser name.

So basically, this Chrome for iOS isn't Chrome per se, but just the same browser used by other iOS apps (like facebook, twitter, etc.) with the added Chrome/Google services/features (bookmark synching, incognito, auto sign in, etc.).

UIWebView in a nutshell is Safari without its Nitro JavaScript engine. Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine is also not available in UIWebView (or in iOS in general). This is why you'll notice that sites with javascript are slower to load using In App Browsers compared to your stand alone Safari. Apple has designed it this way so users will favor the Safari browser over any other browsers on their device. Some would say this is anti-competiion by Apple, but that's a whole other topic.

I guess to be more accurate, I should say:

"Chrome fans, don't jump for joy just yet, you're still using Safari (minus the NitroJS)."

Here's an article about it:
    Google Chrome for iOS also uses Apple's UIWebView

19. shiro_ian

shiro_ian Member

Thanks for the info, I think I read this somewhere also, but I'm currently liking chrome for its ease of use. And right now I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for that (which I haven't really noticed yet)

Here are the features I like in particular:
    - swiping to switch tabs
    - newly opened tabs stay in the background
    - "singular bar" for urls and search
    - syncing of recently viewed webpages across different devices using chrome

Very smart features imo, greatly enhances the user experience!

The only "bug" I hate at the moment is when activating 3g, then trying to surf using chrome, it's always saying not connected to the internet. I have to connect by opening another app (e.g. Safari, twitter), then when it's loaded I can surf freely in chrome. I guess there's a wrong logic somewhere of just checking if there's a connection, but not actually trying to connect when there's none.

20. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

I like it actually. Easy tab switching.