Google Chrome (Chromium) runs in OS X

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Primo, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Primo

Primo Member

Codeweavers the makers of CrossOver (A commercial version of WINE), have ported Google Chrome's open source version Chromium into a form usable in OS X. I was curious, and Google's spanking new web browser was Windows only until now. What was all the hype about?

It work's pretty well, but the initial startup on a relatively new Macbook Pro took about 5 minutes or so. Subsequent start up was much, much faster. I haven't the chance to play with it at all in depth. If anyone else wants to give it a go in OS X please chime in! I'm especially piqued in regards to its offline feature for GoogleApps. I'll give it a go later this morning...

Ah the link. Cheers.

2. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

It doesn't work well, it loads *4ever* the spinning icon keeps on rolling.. hmmm,,, I'll try it again, maybe tomorrow and lets see its performance compared to other browser..

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

To be honest I really can't tell the difference between browsers as far as loading typical web pages. They may have specific features that are amusing but really, I don't feel the technological advantage of one over the other. Oh the only time I choose is when one cr_ps out and teh other doesn't.

#3 Mad Mac, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. b3nn3tt

b3nn3tt Member

i'll try this out. my company laptop is still in windows 2000, and it's not yet available for mac. my colleague installed it on his vista laptop and it was extremely fast. it was like the sites were already in your cache

5. b3nn3tt

b3nn3tt Member

same here. speed looks the same. i was hoping to have the same speed i saw on my colleagues vista. i think i'll just wait for the official one from google. i'll stay in ff3 for now.

chromium is too sensitive with the trackpad. i just scroll down a bit and it jumps to the end of the page.

#5 b3nn3tt, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008