Google Apps Shared Contacts inquiry

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by faithlc, Mar 3, 2010.

1. faithlc

faithlc Technoholics

Hi! Anyone here using Google Apps, for company use?
    Which email client's better for it, Entourage or Apple Mail?

Set up my Google Apps account on both email clients, for email.. Apple Mail seems to be working much better than Entourage. But how do I get the shared contacts stored on Google Apps server to appear on Apple Mail when composing an e-mail?

2. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I believe there is a sync option between Google and Apple Address Book which Mail uses. Address Book>Preferences. But be aware that you might have duplicate entries. Some names while the same may be treated as different when created on two different apps. All you need to do is correct on one master contacts app after syncing.

3. faithlc

faithlc Technoholics

Hi Mad Mac thanks, I tried that. But it'll only sync what I have under Google Apps contacts stored specifically on my account.
    I would like to know how to get the shared contacts (all the emails of my colleagues stored on the Google Apps server
    -- something like the Global Address List in Microsoft Exchange) appear on Apple Mail.
    Pls refer to http://code.google.com/p/google-shared-contacts-client/

I can only access the contacts when I'm using the Google Apps web mail. Can't on Apple Mail.

#3 faithlc, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

Hi Faithlc,

Did a search for google apps and found your thread. I was hoping to get some feedback from you regarding google apps.

First off, some background. We just registered 2 of our company domains. I would like to migrate these domain into Google Apps for managing email addresses and shared contact information. Also, email handling is still better through Gmail than any other webmail services I've experienced thus far.

At least, these are what I expect. How is your feedback for your company? Any humps along the way? How is integration between Outlook/Mail?

PS I'm only going to go for the free version (limited 50 email addresses) as that's enough for our current needs.