Goodbye to Firefox for now, welcome back Safari

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by jasondv, Feb 24, 2005.

1. jasondv

jasondv Member

I've been having lots of problems with Firefox this past week. When I installed it a couple of months ago, it just kicked Safari's *ss in terms of speed (not to mention it saved complete web pages, which was extremely useful for my needs in relation to iSiloX).

Lately though it feels like it's been choking on every web page I try to load. At first I thought my DSL service was just acting up, but I was suprised that the same pages loaded without a hitch when I tried them with Safari.

In several tests opening the same pages using both FF and Safari, Firefox would just display the beach ball while Safari would load the pages, albeit slowly. I deleted the cache, reinstalled FF, and no change.

I really like FF better than Safari, and I hope to get it back in shape. Any leads or suggestions on what I should do? (BTW, it seems like this all started when I installed the 10.3.8 update...)

EDIT: cleaned out the typos :blush:

[Edited on 2-25-2005 by jasondv]

2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Have you tried clearing the cache and cookies?

3. tdbur

tdbur Member

Also you might want to delete the firefox preference files

4. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

jason, why not try camino. it's mozilla based too. so it's firefox written for OS X. joel suplido has some reviews in his blog. http://www.suplido.com/joel/ try it out.

5. mgd

mgd Member

I noticed this too. It usually happens when my Mac "wakes up". Otherwise, it's been pretty stable.

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i've been using firefox almost exclusively since it came out, and it remains zippy for me--but after 10.3.8 i've lost my hotmail functionality--it's stuck on some halfway screen and i can't get to the inbox.

7. jasondv

jasondv Member

Yup. Cleaned out the cache, cookies, preferences... and there's some improvement (at least for today). I'll also give Camino a try.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

[Edited on 2-25-2005 by jasondv]

8. alfa

alfa Member

I noticed the sluggish performance of Firefox in 10.3.8 as well. After 10.3.8 I upgraded to Mozilla 1.02 so i'm trying to see if there's an improvement.
    I'm using Camino now and it does seem faster, thanks Chairman

[Edited on 2-25-2005 by alfa]