good speakers

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Martin, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

2. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

My Polk Audio setup at home is turning 2 years this Spring and they sound as nice as the day they're new.

I think I should take a photo of them and share it here.

3. legato

legato Member

Also wanted the Audioengine A5+ but curiosity got the better of me.

Got a mint second hand FIIO A1 class D amp for cheap a few weeks ago. Paired it with a Klipsch RB41 mk ii on sale recently.

Was pleasantly surprised. :)

Thanks to the people dropping knowledge on this thread.

4. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I'm thinking about getting a studio monitor for my keyboards,

I don't want to get an Keyboard Amp just because, it is bulky in my room and, i cant use its fullest potential in my small room.

I need your suggestions on these "Studio Monitors" - budget range ~20k-25k php

Weapons of choice:
    Korg Kronos 73
    Akai Synthstation 49 + iPad

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Audio Engine A2+ (or A5)

piedad likes this.
  6. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

The only store in downtown I went to, gave me a recommendation about Alesis Elevate 5..
    Quite power speakers i must say, Not too much loud, not that much bass that i need.

It got some toggle switch about the Full Bass / Reduce Bass effect.
    I'm happy with it right now.

If i were browsing older recommendations, i would have get this Audio Engine 5. Wala nga lang syang built in na 1/4" Input

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

Hi sir, where can i get wharfdale diamond 10.1 and dayton dt-1 locally?
    And also Trends TA-10.1 class T amp?

#367 wuyckie, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  8. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Please recommend me a dedicated 2.0 speaker for my Amazon Echo Dot. Primary purpose is to of course, make Alexa heard across the room as well as for listening to Spotify.

My preferences:

1. Price: Sub-P7.5k and available locally
    2. 2-Channel (2.0) Bookshelf type
    3. Active / Built-in amp
    4. Bass and Treble level control knobs + Volume control
    5. Line Input(s) + Bluetooth
    6. Environment: Placed in my living room. Speakers are spaced about a meter or so apart (the TV sits between them), and the listening area (couch) is about 3 meters away.

I'm considering a particular model right now but I want to save that for later and first hear what you guys recommend.

9. oj88

I didn't get a reply so I went ahead and bought an Edifier R1280DB.

I imagine that the Echo Dot's sound chip isn't anywhere near audiophile quality so I just chose a relatively cheap Edifier bookshelf speaker. It costs just a little over P4k.

The speaker itself packs quite an oomph.... except for the abrupt roll-off below 50Hz. Then again, you can't cheat physics with those 4-inch drivers. At 42W RMS, the sound is room-filling, and it kinda puts my 15+ y/o Logitech ATP3 2.1 PC speaker in it's place. Bass is enough and not boomy or over-emphasized. The high-mids are a small bit muddy for me, though, and clarity suffers a bit. You could get hearing fatigue playing this at loud enough volumes. It does have tone knobs to at least afford me some control on the bass and treble levels. An outboard EQ may be able to help flatten it up to a certain extent, but it'll probably cost more than the speakers.... can't say if it's worth bothering with that for now. Someone previously referred me to the Pioneer DJ DM-40. It pumps out the same amount power as the Edifier (42W RMS), but it does have a Class AB amplifier (vs. Class D on the Edifier). The problem is, I'm cheap and I just can't see myself spending P9k for something that will only have the Echo Dot as the audio source.

The R1280DB has five (count 'em!).... 5 inputs. 2x RCA Line-In, 1x Optical, 1x Coax, and Bluetooth. It has an IR remote that controls every aspect of the speaker except the tone controls and power. This means I can integrate it with my IR blaster or Harmony remote to automate its operation.

What is annoying are the speaker covers and what they are made of. The plastic grilles behind the cloth (which gives it it's exterior form) are a bit too thick and I can hear that it affects the highs. If I remove the grilles, the highs opens up but at the risk of the drivers being damaged by my kids or pet dog. So I just left them on and cranked up the treble control a notch to compensate. I'm thinking of hacking the grille and cut out the area around where the tweeters are. But doing so, I'm afraid the cloth could loose its curved form around those areas.

Then I remember that it only costs 4k so I forced myself to accept its shortcomings. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted the black one so it would go better with the rest of my A/V equipment, but they were fresh out. The brown faux wood finish seems to make it stand out like a sore thumb in a sea of black. Then again, I'm no interior designer so standing out might end up being a good thing. You tell me.

Overall, you can't beat the price. It's multimedia bookshelf speaker, not an audiophile piece... though it doesn't hurt if it at least tries to look the part.

Sunil_K, greta87, Theus and 1 other person like this.
  10. BakedMacNinja

BakedMacNinja New Member

I bought Creative 7.1 speakers way back 2005 when i was still in the US. Up to know they are still awesome!

11. jessec

jessec Active Member

@oj88 , good choice I was about to recommend that Edifier which everyone from pinoydvd was scrambling for from Lazada when there was a sale, haha. But you mentioned your budget and this was way below that :)

12. oj88

Yeah, I figured that the Echo Dot isn't an audiophile source anyway. It would probably be a waste to spend more on an expensive speaker.... the concept of diminishing returns very much applies here.

13. manager

manager Active Member

Thanks for the review. Am considering this with Chromecast audio.

14. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Hi guys! I don't know if this is possible but is there a set of speakers that can be connected to the TV or my iPhone or Macbook to listen to music or watch movies?

I guess that means the speakers has to be bluetooth and/or wifi? I was hoping to get something without wires except the speaker's power. I have no space for a soundbar too. So I just plan to use them for the left and right side of the room to make stereo sound.

Thanks!

#374 louie_gudboy, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  15. oj88

I ruined my Edifier.... to make it sound better.

I mentioned earlier that the speaker grilles weren't exactly acoustically transparent. When I put them on, the highs are perceptibly subdued. So, I got busy with an angle plier cutter and sheared away the plastic "screen" behind the cloth.

Problem solved. The highs are now more defined without any need to boost the treble adjustment.

This is what the speakers look like with the grilles removed.
    [​IMG]

The speaker grilles. Notice how thick the plastic "screens" are? They're both too thick and too close together, IMO. I will have none of that.
    [​IMG]

The aftermath. Looks ugly from the inside, but my ears says otherwise.
    [​IMG]

And the plastic shavings.... goes straight to the dust bin.
    [​IMG]

16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i saw Sonos being displayed at megamall!

jayparalejas likes this.
  17. PinkHunny

PinkHunny Member

Where?

18. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

near the Satchmi store. I forgot the name of the shop, theyre also selling kitchen equipment

PinkHunny likes this.
  19. denzzurcaled

denzzurcaled Member

It is in the appliance center in Bldg.B lower ground floor near Ace hardware entrance.

PinkHunny likes this.
  20. macfrancis

macfrancis Member

Got sonos play 5 panalo!